Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CHEVELLE COWL INDUCTION HOOD

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by CHEVY 4WD, Nov 13, 2002.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

OK I always thoug this was cool but I dont know how it works If anyone know I would like to know and also I was wondering how functional it is and if you could make one work on it Truck btw I know u couldent use the chevelle hood
    (they were on some 70-73's)

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Are you talking about the flapper type ??? Cowl Induction looks cool, but I think some sort of cool air kit would be more cost efficent.

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Yea that flapper type thing I guess you dont know anything about it do you? Also what do you mean about the air kit I could probably do both

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The flapper style uses a closed air filter housing that isolates the underhood air from the intake. It has dual intakes that line up with holes on the underside of the hood with foam rubber seals on both sides, when hood is closed, it seals off under hood hot air. A passage in the hood leads to the flapper. The flapper is vacume activated. When the secondarys open up, manifold vacume opens the flapper aloweing a ram air effect. Cooler outside air bounces off the windshield, forced past the flapper into the carb. Nice set up for high preformance cars, but won't do much for a 4X4 where you're mainly operating at lower rpm's. I think a closed dual air breather with ducts up to the back side of the grill would work about the same and be alot easier to set up. The whole goal is to get the cooler outside air into the motor.

5. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I am a Chevelle nut. ***Disclaimer*** There were no real cars made after 1972. Same rule applies to trucks with the year being 1988.

Having said that....The cowl induction was cutting edge at the time. Modern cold air kits do basiclly the same thing. The cowl induction hood looks kick a$$ though.

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I am a Chevelle nut. ***Disclaimer***

[/ QUOTE ]

Your not the only one! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It was my understanding that there was never any determination if the cowl induction really did anything for the performance. At one point, I was going to out it onto my '71 SS which just has the raised hood. I found that it would not work with my highrise Edelbrock intake so I gave up. Fitting it onto a truck could be done but might be better to try a mechanical link to the hood flapper instead of a vacuum route to make it simple. If you are serious, I have the blueprint book for my car that shows the mechanical drawings and part numbers for this setup. I could scan it and post it. Let me know.

7. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

YES! I am very serious ive even though of getting a chevelle hood and modifing it for a truck(even thoug I dont want to cut up a classic hood) andim not sure how i want to do it yet but would still like to see the prints

8. Sandman

I'll try to get them up for you tonight.

9. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Just a thougt...My wifes 90 Z-24 had cowl induction. I read somewhere that they were the last Chevy's to have true cowl induction. It didnt have flaps or anything. You might want to look in the bone yard at one, they should be readily avalibe, and see if you could graft one into your hood. Oh yea they were all fiberglass.

10. Sandman

Well I finally remembered. I have about 3 pages of info on the cowl induction setup and it looks like it will be a big PITA, plus some cash for the repro parts. The pics are not that clear at all. If you still want them I'll scan and post them.