Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chevelle steering box??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by southernspeed, Nov 26, 2004.

1. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Is a steering box off of a '70 Chevelle the same as a 2 wheel drive truvk box??? Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I got curious and was searching for pics and found some that looked simmilar but different , one is the 70 Chevelle box , the latter a box of an 80's 2wd truck . Different inputs it looks like , but should bolt up I suppose , and hoses may be different on different years .

[​IMG]

3. southernspeed

Good work! Apart from the input shaft they look pretty similsr eh? Anyone else got any ideas? How about you Tim?
    Thanks Pauly /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

Unless the pic is reversed, that is not an 83 P/U box. It would have the sector shaft pointing up. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

5. pauly383

Blame the parts lookup pics I copied , their mistake if it is wrong /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Unless the pic is reversed, that is not an 83 P/U box. It would have the sector shaft pointing up. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If that pic wasn't reversed that steering box would have to be for a vehicle with a steering wheel on the right hand side.

'70 Chevelle box will likely bolt up. You will need the 73-80 or so style SAE hoses. The ratio might be different but many saginaw boxes are similar, I'd try your pitman arm and see what you get.

7. pauly383

Yup , I didn't even think about that when I pirated the pics from here http://www.carsteering.com/ . Trucks mount out side framerail , so shaft is on the same side as mounting pads .

But you know what , that Chevelle box , mounted on the opposite side of truck , opens up a possibility of using a right hand drive body like a Mail Jeep on a K5 frame . Then its no flat top for crossover if you convert to right hand drive /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    But you know what , that Chevelle box , mounted on the opposite side of truck , opens up a possibility of using a right hand drive body like a Mail Jeep on a K5 frame . Then its no flat top for crossover if you convert to right hand drive /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Or just go full hydro for 25% of the cost of that, and be done with it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. southernspeed

[ QUOTE ]
    Or just go full hydro for 25% of the cost of that, and be done with it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Not allowed full hydro over here on the road. Haven't fitted that pitman arm yet (no time!) but am getting together the parts to go cross over. I've already got the flat tops and a hydro assist set up so I just need a 2 wheel drive box and the arms.
    Thanks for your help guys anyway! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif