Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chevrolet Oil Filter Bypass Relief Valve Plug

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rcamacho, Jun 20, 2005.

1. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

2. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

bypass

The filter bypass is there for a reason one for the driver who neglets the vehical and the filter becomes clogged...or if for some unforseen reason the filter became clogged the oil would still flow....I wouldin't go with a oil filter adapter with out a bypass unless it was a all out race vehical...If your filter is in good working order and changed on regural intervals there won't be any oil going through the bypass....the bypass is there for a reason to protect your engine in a filter failure....

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

From what my dad sees racing, about 30 laps and for whatever reason, the filter needs replacing with no bypass. These are Napa (Wix) Gold filters too.

Oil pressure drops much quicker vs. running "bypassed".

It must not be too big of a problem, (stock bypass) engines typically run 100,000+ miles with that setup.

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Bypass blocking is a bad idea- Your engine needs to go into bypass in things like the cold mornings, etc, when it needs oil, but is too thick to pump through. if you remove this function, you will damage something.

If you want better filtration, add a bypass filter system.

5. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

6. 74huggerorange

74huggerorange Registered Member

I run a remote mount oil filter that has no bypass and have since 2003. I run a wix filter for a 74 chevy luv (dont ask me it just fits) and the wix book says that this filter has no bypass. I have put a bunch of miles on the truck and the motor is still doing great. I have even torn it down after 25k miles (3 years) to swap cams and everything looked a-OK.