Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chevrolet TPI & TBI Engine Swapping Book

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mcmlxix, May 8, 2003.

1. mcmlxix

mcmlxix Registered Member

Anyone have one. Seen one. Used one. Its out of print. I want to know if its worth it to buy if I can find one on line.

2. Sledge

Sledge Registered Member

I own a copy. It's an OK book, but I don't know if it was worth the cover price even when it was in print. If you're hoping for detailed year-to-year differences between configurations and/or instructions how to actually perform the swap, you'll be disappointed.

The general gist of the book is to buy a complete setup (motor, tranny, ecm, wiring, brackets, fuel tank, the whole 9 yards) from a bone-yard then buy the Helm service manual and figure out the wiring from there.

Mike Knell also kind of poo-poos a lot of the aftermarket "helpers," but pushes his own Stealth Conversions/Jags That Run parts.

Personally I think there's a lot more relevant information floating around the 'net from people who've done the swap.

I was an research engineer at a company that was working on high-efficiency combustion research -- I spent a year designing and tuning custom ECMs. There are a few gotchas, but really an EFI setup isn't all *that* complicated. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

3. mcmlxix

mcmlxix Registered Member

What's a "Helm" Service Manual? I should get a manual for the 88 K5 that I am pulling the motor from, right? Will that have wiring diagrams that I need to re-use the factory harness? What about reprogramming the computer. I am confused about VATS and VSS.

4. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Vats is usually on the higher end cars. The vss is used in simpleest terms by your computer to sense when the car is in motion or at idle and by the speedometer. I thought the the JTR book had lot of nice pictures of stuff they had done (volvos, s10s etc), but not very much info that you cant find out by asking someone on the net or at a shop that does custom swaps. The Helm manual is esentially the bible of everything to your particular car. A great reference but the wiring may take you a while to figure out. Just take your time.

5. Greenie

Greenie Registered Member

I dont' think you will need the book. As far as accessories go, there are plenty of Carmaros and Firebirds to get the brakets etc from it needed. Go to PAINLESS WIREING. You can get the complete wiring kit, sensors etc from them. Also try Arizona Speed and Marine.

6. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Don't waste your money on the JTR book.I got it,it didn't help me at all.A factory service manual for the year and model vehicle the TPI is out of will be much more helpfull.