Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chevy 1500 2wd .Strange noise?????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bckinblk, May 31, 2004.

1. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

I just rescently bought a 1989 c-1500 ext cab long bed 2wd truck.I have been fixing it up week by week as I use it for work.Last week I replaced the rear wheel cylinders and drums and pads and axle seals.When I pulled the diff cover off all seemed good .No metal shavings at all.Yesterday I noticed that I have a strange hum grinding noise and I can't find it .I notice also that when making a turn I get this weird whom whom whom noise.I jacked up the front end and the wheels do not move but the pass side front has a clicking noise to it.Could this be a bad wheel bearing?I have owned 4x4's all my life and this is my first 2wd.So I am hesitant to just start tearing it apart.Any of you guys have a 2wd that had this problem??Other than the humming noise it runs pretty smooth till I go into a turn then the noise gets worse..I have a g80 in the rear would that cause this also if the rear wheel bearings were bad??? Thanks for any info in advance.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Did you use a tube of the additive when you put the new oil in the rear? G80 is the rpo for posi traction and I'm pretty sure it needs the additive to work properly. I ran one without it once after a fluid change and it made a bunch of noise, put in the additive and the noise was gone /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

Yes I put in the posi additive with the new gear lube.I crawled under it again to inspect everything and all seems good.This truck has a 2 piece driveshaft with a bearing in the center of it.Could that be it??I can usually fix just about anything but this has me stumped..In my k5 the wheelbearing went but the wheel got loose and I could move it around.But this wheel is tight and makes a cliking noise.I will pull the hub off tommorow and see how the race is..Thanks

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Uhhh are all your wheels tight???? i had a similar noise once and swore it was a bearing noise until my wheel fell off /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

Yes the wheels are tight . /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gifI pulled the hub off today and all seems good .the bearing and race are both in good shape .I'm totally stumped .I will look into the tranny next.. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif