Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

chevy 250 question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big_black_blazer, Feb 28, 2005.

1. big_black_blazer

big_black_blazer 1/2 ton status

:1zhelp: :dunno: i put a 250 6cyl from a 1972 k5 in my 54 chevy truck. it has started to backfire through the carb and exhaust like it jumped time, but the distributor hasn't moved. the timing gears are still fine, the cam is fine, and the valve train is fine. it is misfiring on all cylinders so i am going to get new plugs, wires, cap, points, button, etc. today and try to start over. could these be the problem? it just done it all of the sudden (over a 10 mile period). if it matters i changed the fuel filter and intake/exhaust gasket the night before, but the gasket is not leaking.
    thanks
    evan:1zhelp: :dunno:

2. towdriver80

towdriver80 Registered Member

Could you have switched a plug wire by accident?

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

tune it up and see ---

It might just have a condensor crapping out,or needs new points,or maybe a cracked distributor cap or rotor--as stated already make sure all your plug wires are on the right plugs(firing order 1-5-3-6-2-4)--the only other thing I can think of is a valve or rocker arm is sticking or something went awry in the valve train,but thats pretty unlikely...good luck..:crazy:

4. big_black_blazer

big_black_blazer 1/2 ton status

thanks for the help. i found the problem--- some how or another, the timing wound up 10 degrees off and i have a hellacious leak between the carb and intake. but i should have it going tonight.

thanks
    evan