Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

chevy 454 block question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dodgedude99, Mar 31, 2005.

1. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

i found this 454 bare block locally.
    i ran the number thru Mortec, they said...
    14044807...454T..............4-bolt, Bowtie, MkIV, CNC prep, Tall deck, 4.25" bore or 4.495" bores

the dude says it has a bore of 4.535

the questions now
    1)now im a$$uming its bored 40 over, is that ok on a big block, i know its a little much on a SBC.

2)is this a decent block to start a build up on for my K5?

3)and finally, how do you think these heads would work?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7965188097

2. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

there are people boring sbcs to .060. .030 is the norm for an sbc so .040 is fine for a bbc.

any bbc is a decent block IMO. when you start with the guts like that you have a lot of options... are you going to do anything special or is it just a stock build? If you have the money, forged internals and a supercharger would make for one stout roudy piece of rolling steel. You'd also see an increase in gas mileage...here is a site where they put a holley 850 carb, rv cam, intake manifold, ported heads, and a supercharger and made... well you'll see it when you click on the link.

while you have the heads out like that you might want to think about some porting.

www.fastmotorsports.com/505.htm

something to go down as evidence for all the diesel guys... over 600 ft lbs from 2500-4500 rpm... talk about grunt.

makes me want to start building a bbc.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

tall decks are nice for the stroker kits. it alows you to run longer rods for better rod ratio. the intake and distributor are tall deck units. other than that all bolts up o.k.

4. dodgedude99

not quite a stock rebuild, more mild.
    pushing for min. 400hp. 500ft lbs.
    sorta like the GM 454 ho, just trying to do it on a budget.

i would love the blower, but thats just not in the budget.
    im getting an emissions exemption for it, so im not too worried about all the smog crap.

i heard a few people saw tall decks arent any good, it does say "truck" on the block.

5. dodgedude99

6. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

That is a very nice block, I'm jealouse. But it doesn't go with the "on a budget" comment. A 454 is a 4.25" bore, This ain't a 454, it's a race block....

Look at pistons, Most in that bore size will be for a 4.25 stroke with a longer rod. You're not going to find much "off the shelf" Oversize 502 pistons are out because of the .400 increase in deck height and that after market rods are available only in .200, .455, .565, and .665 longer. It would make a sweet 555 cid motor though, either way it's goint to cost $2K for a rotating assembly...... A Bowtie block is a quality block on par with a merlin or dart, I'm sure the oversize is safe, but it's going to be expensive to build...

About a safe bore, A standard 454 block can safely go .060, some can go up to .125 over, off the shelf pistons are available in .100 and .125, but the blocks need to be sonic checked for this much metal removal.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  7. dodgedude99

those heads i posted, are they good or bad?

8. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

There good for a 454, I was just stating that block is for something much bigger than a 454.