Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chevy 454 to a GMC Jimmy, Help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Billblade, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Billblade

Billblade Registered Member

I have very recently bought a 1985 GMC Jimmy that use to house a 305. The motor was not included in the purchase. I have a Chevy 454 that I would like to put in this truck, but am unsure if Chevy 454 mounts will work on a GMC Jimmy frame. Can anyone help out here? Are the motor mounts universal between a Jimmy and a Blazer, anotherwards are the frames the same on both vehicles. Thanks for the help!

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

a blazer and jimmy are the same vehicle, just different badges.

3. Billblade

Billblade Registered Member

Thanks big83chevy4x4, I knew the bodies were the same body, but didn't know if the frame holes were the same. Now I can continue my project, thanks!!!

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Should bolt in...

I've read some posts saying big blocks use different mount pads-,but I put 3 454's in different 70's GM trucks and they bolted right in using the block brackets off the old small block motors.(4x4 brackets have the thru bolt holes about 1" higher than car ones or some 2wd trucks! you have to use them,or the oil pan might hit the crossmember,and it'll throw off the driveline angles).
    My chiltons book shows the pads on the frame being bolted in the "other" set of holes for a big block,but I never moved mine and everything fit like a glove! :confused: --only truck I had to move them on was my 79 C10,when I put a 305 in place of the 250 six it originally had... :crazy:

5. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

So a Big block chevy will bolt directly in place of my small block chevy?? :thinking: hmm.... you people are corrupting me :D .. If I can find a deal on a junkyard 454 I may know where my $$ is going ;)

6. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

As long as you use the small block clamshell motor mounts it will bolt right in. If you use the larger big block clamshells they have a different bolt pattern and you will have to change the frame brackets. I am in the process of doing this in my dually right now. I found a new set of frame brackets and am going to use the larger big block mounts.

Russ