Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chevy auto to manuel tranny swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevyman562, Mar 1, 2003.

1. chevyman562

chevyman562 Registered Member

I just bought a 1975 chevy blazer with a turbo 350 auto trans. I was wondering how hard it would be to swap in a manuel transmission when this one died. I was told that there is a plate bolted over the holes in the floorboards for the gear shifter and the clutch pedel. Is this correct. Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

If you can get donor truck for the hardware it is pretty easy swap. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

After burning up the stock THM 350, and then a new THM 400 I did the swap to an SM 465/NP 205. My donnor truck was just that a truck, so I had to have the rear drive line cut down other then that it was a bolt in. the hardest part was the pedals and there is no plate for it I had to dril a hole and use a shift boot over the hole.

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Just did this swap in my 76 a few months ago. Went from the TH350/NP203 to a SM465/NP203. It's NOT easy. If you're going to keep the manual linkage, then ya have to make the bracket that goes on the frame rail for the clutch linkage. I don't know what is involved in the hydro linkage, except that ya have to have a bellhousing from a truck that had hydro clutch. Ya have to cut a hole in the floor for the rod to go through. Have to drop the steering column to get the old pedals out and the new ones in. I found a tranny tunnel cover from a truck that had a 465 originally and bolted that on inplace of my old one. So I didn't have to cut any holes for that. Not to mention that a 465/203 or 205 weighs ALOT more than any auto tranny combo. Hard as hell to get it all in there without dropping it on the floor. I managed to do ALL of this by myself with a floor jack and short piece of 4x4 lumber. Also gotta worry about drive shafts... Both will have to be shortened or lengthened. If ya have the time and money to do it.....Then go for it. If your truck is your DD, then it's not so wise a choice. Especially if you've never done anything like it before. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i did this swap on my 74 blazer. i used the hydro setup only after buying all the parts i would need to do it in a linkage setup.
    if you are serious about it let me know. i have it all for sale for a good price. pm me on that. we can go from there.

as for doing the swap if you go linkage it is a bolt in thing. all you need are the z-bar, bell housing, clutch, clutch fork, tranny and matching t-case setup, pedal setup, shifter, and flywheel. i may be missing one or two things, but not a big deal. you get the idea. the pedals are easy on the linkage setup. i had them installed in like 15 min. including the removal of the existing auto pedals. ut i had a lot less to work around. my dash is cut out. everything else is bolt on.

as for the hydro... that is a different story. if you are going to be twisting your truck up, i would recomend the hyd setup. much more simple, but harder to get parts for and harder to install. the th350 to np203 and the sm465 to np203 have all the same lengths. i think the 205 does as well in theese applications. not sure. problems i had with the hyd setup is the pedals have two braces for the clutch master cylander. you have to make holes for those and a larger hole for the rod for the master cylander. another problem i had was finding a hyd bell housing. it took some time, but i got it. all i need to finish that minor project on the truck is a clutch, new fork and piviot(they were worn bad.) ethier way you will have to cut a hole in your tranny tunnel. but it is easier because it is removable in your year. you can put the tranny in and then install the cover, a few taps with a malet and there is your hole. just cut it out. if you have any more questions let me know. the best way to do it as almost always is find one parts truck... and for lack of a vbetter term, rape it like a big purple ape.
    Grant

6. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    as for doing the swap if you go linkage it is a bolt in thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to step on any toes, but it is NOT a bolt in thing. You have to cut a hole in the floor. And you have to make that bracket for the frame, and either bolt it on or weld it on. I welded mine on. To much of a pain in the a$$ to try to fit a drill up there. Those few things take it out of the "bolt on" realm. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

you don't have to make that bracket. should've been on the donor truck. it's only held on by two bolts. also, the holes should've been on the frame. maybe your setup is different, but even my 90 Jimmy has the holes in the framerail.

8. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I did the swap from a TH350/203 to a SM465/203. I was not at all familiar with how to do this, and it isn't that hard. I had some help from some friends, but it really isn't that hard. The linkage is all bolt in. Your frame should have the holes for the bracket (just torch or grind one off of a 4spd frame) Parts are easily available. I would recommend getting a donor truck for the parts just so you don't have to hunt and peck.