Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

chevy bounce

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cacabrown, Apr 19, 2004.

1. cacabrown

cacabrown Newbie

what makes chevy 4x4's bounce soft to hard while driving down the street. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

They are trucks. They have leaf springs designed for doing truck work. They bounce . Don't mean to sound harsh, but that is the way it is. I like the ride of a real truck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

How else would you shake up your chocolate milk?

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    They are trucks. They have leaf springs designed for doing truck work. They bounce . Don't mean to sound harsh, but that is the way it is. I like the ride of a real truck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    My Junk rides pretty smooth on the street. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

If it's lifted then get the ORD sway disconnect and correction. Play with your air pressure and check that your rims are true. I just scrapped the rims on my 88 2wd brub because the were so out of true there was no way to get rid of bounce on them. Rides nice and smooth on the new Eagle 058's.

Most people run a too high of pressure and they will ride like hell then. When I was running BFG 31's and 32's that are rated up to 50 PSI I found I was getting best unifor wear and best ride at about 38PSI. My 35's I run 28 rear and 30 front.

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    what makes chevy 4x4's bounce soft to hard while driving down the street. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The same reason double post /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif If ya ain't liking the answer doesn't mean you have to post the same question twice.

It's all about the spring rates and shock valving. With trucks of yesteryear, manufacturer's threw on springs that were thick and built for for hauling loads. These springs had no flex in them. The shocks were valved to handled these same loads.

Now you see a lot of pick-ups on the roads these days, but the manufacturers realized they were sitting on a goldmine if they made them ride more like cars.

6. jimmy1973

jimmy1973 Registered Member

better to run steel rims or alumnium?

plan to do some traveling this summer 100 miles from here do some offroading in the forest i heard alum rims are no good but are good looking we tested a rim in a wheel balancer boy it was out of wack any advice is welcome

7. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

My suburban was smooooth , so I put some 39.5 irok radials on it now it bounces like a Chevy :D I swear super swampers are square

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Did anyone notice the date on this post? :D

9. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

whyd we bring back a 14 month old post to ask a completely diffrent question??????

10. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

I think theres something wrong with the boards because it brought back a post I did 2 mounths ago and said it was today

11. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

No, somebody dug back and replied to this thread.