Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chevy C60 tow rig...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Avery4jc, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey I saw this listed locally and was wondering if anyone else uses this as a tow rig? I know, try www.towrig.com but I like it here. Just currious, I remember someone saying that they work great but it cost an arm and a leg to insure.

http://fresno.craigslist.org/tls/193604710.html

-Avery

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thats the issue. I'd love to get one for a tow rig(flat bed preferably so I could start scrap more too) but they cost too much to insure if you aren't using them often(for business needs).

3. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

The tag is expensive too. My dad has a number of these trucks around. He has used them for years in his business. He has a flat bed and one with a boom and winch among others. I wanted to take those two b/c I'm always "needing" those two trucks. I think it's just too costly though.

4. Avery4jc

I remember a long time ago a member on here converted a semi (class B I think, it didn't swivel) box truck over to a huge flat bed and had it for sale. Do you guys remember who that was?

I wonder if something like the C60 has the cajonies to tow up mountains and stuff.

-Avery

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Big84GMC... I think thats his screenname. He had the buggy that rolled down an embankment and landed on some woman's car. I remember it wasn't long ago he had pictures of it when he sold the rig you are talking about. Hes from florida... I'm terrible with names, and I'm here all the time :doah: imagine how it is in the real world with people I just met? :haha:

6. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I may be wrong on this but I think the C60's had 350's and 366's. They have pretty good towing power but you won't win any races. However, if you step up to the 7000/8000 series some of them had 427T's and diesels. The diesels have enough power to do anything you would want to do. He had some w/ CAT diesels and some with huge detroit diesels (don't remember what size). The detroits had air brakes and the whole bit. They also had MUCH more power than the CAT diesels. He got rid of the CAT's b/c they just didn't have enough power to do what he needed. After thinking on this for the past few hours I am wondering if you insure it under a private name and not as a commercial vehicle would the price go down? These trucks can be bought fairly inexpensively. I know right now he has 4-5 of these trucks just sitting around. I asked him why he didn't sell them and he said they just aren't worth much.

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

big94gmc... he's the one who just started a buildup with a mid 90s S10 x cab

8. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

yup for sure that is him . It was pretty sweet too

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

wow only 1 number off...

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I'd be more inclined to find a Freightliner or a Navistar in that size of truck - preferably diesel.

11. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

C60s have small blocks, or 366s with a pos 5+2 tranny. Everyone I have ever drove for the elevator has just pissed me off by how slow it was. They used to have one C70 that had a 427 Crate dropped in it.

I would go for the size bigger with the Detroit deisel in it.

Like the other guys said though. Tags and Insurance are to expensive to only use it a few times out of the year.

12. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Just get you a 7000/8000 series with the Detroit diesel and air brakes. Then put a long wheelbase crew cab dually body on it. You'd have a cool dually diesel w/ air brakes. :saweet: You could put some 1 ton wheels and tires on it, kinda like the U-haul trucks, so it would sit more like a 1 ton and not up so high like a 2 ton.

13. Avery4jc

I know a guy who has one of these, well you all might know him too. Big Mike from BMC Choppers up in Bend, Or. has one that he uses for his tow rig. He came down for a party at the bike shop and my dad is good friends with him so I got to check it out. It was a really sweet rig and hauled! Even with the huge gooseneck boxed in trailer.

[​IMG]

check out this site I found, it has a ton of cool stuff like this 7000 series...
    http://www.jbleetrans.com/trucks_and_vans.htm

[​IMG]

That would be a lot of fun, then you wouldn't have to worry about breaking your rig or even making it road worthy yet you don't have to spend a ton of money on a big truck/trailer for a tow rig.

Are these 7000/8000 series just as expensive to register/insure?

-Avery

14. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

those things are sweet, but they cost $$,$$$.$$ would be awesome to have one

15. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

anyone figure out if you could just register it as a RV?

16. Avery4jc

That GMC7000 is only $6500.

Cheaper than even a used beat up tow rig and trailer. Shoot that's less than what you would spend on a trailer of the same size as that bed.

-Avery

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

nice...

You need to have a bussiness,or use the truck daily to help it pay for itself,in order to make it worth having..for the "ocaisional" towing enthusiast,they are a handfull to insure,and keep them in good running order..even a flat tire on a C-60 can be a costly dilema,and isn't something you can change yourself on the road side,like a 1 ton truck!..at least you wont be fearful of overloading it though!.

I see many ramp trucks around here like the red one pictured above..many can be bought for 3500-8000 bucks in nice shape,but the cheaper ones usually have a small block or 454,or the 366/427 tall deck engines,not diesels,and have a 4 spd or 5 spd with an auxillary tranny behind them,or a two speed rear axle...I'd opt for the Detroit diesel ones if I were looking to buy one...

I still like the school bus /ramp truck conversions I see sometimes at dirt track races..they cut away most of the "bus",and make a ramp body to haul the race car----but leave enough of the "bus" for sleeping and camping quarters,and most states let "RV" plates slide on them,since many large ones haul a car behind them on a tow bar..if you score a diesel bus,its even better!..they practically GIVE old used school buses away here,seems even junkyards are reluctant to take them now--same goes for bigger 2 ton trucks and old motorhomes,they wont take them most of the time,unless YOU gut them out completely,and cut them up into peices....

If I were well off,I'd buy or make a bus/camper one,and drive it across the country and pick up some rust free muscle cars and GM trucks,and haul them back here and sell them at outrageously high profit!--I know one guy who is doing just that with a commercial car hauler,goes to AZ at least once a month,and he's done VERY well for himself!..he sells a gutted AZ 67-72 GM truck cab for 2 grand,and people are anxious to get them!..:crazy:

18. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Yea that's a cool truck but my idea is MUCH cheaper. :D

19. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

wow, it must suck living in Cali. i can but a NICE 20-24' 10K open trailer for around 3000-3500 here, depending on options, which would leave 3000-3500 for a tow rig. 81-87 1 ton duallys can be had for that price around here.

20. Avery4jc

That's true also, I guess it all depends on what options ya' want on it.

-Avery