Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chevy Deisel Engine

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazin'Grrl, Jul 8, 2000.

1. Blazin'Grrl

Blazin'Grrl Registered Member

I'm thinking about buying an '82 Caprice Classic with a 350 deisel engine, just wondered if anyone had any opinions on this engine?? It only has 70,000 miles on it, looks nice and all, they're only asking $900 for it, good buy?

<font color=purple>Sarah</font color=purple>
    <font color=purple>[​IMG]'83 K-5 Silverado Blazer[​IMG]</font color=purple>

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>My dad used to work at the Chevy dealership that was owned by my grandfather, and he said he remebers when the 350-based deisels came out they were crap. He said the blocks cracked a lot because they weren't strong enough for all the compresion produced by a deisel. I've never seen one.</font color=blue>

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com <font color=blue>Updated!</font color=blue>

3. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

I remember reading Hot Rod Magazine awhile back and it said the chevy 350 diesel made the top 10 worst engines of all time.
    If that tells ya something.. And I have seen alot of crappy engines.

<font color=red>Zack Carlson</font color=red>
    <font color=yellow>Carlson@thestix.net</font color=yellow>

4. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Stay FAR AWAY from that one !!!! This is one of chevys worst ideas . Those engines have big problems .

5. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

6. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Bad reputation yes. But there is a following of believers!
    Check out the 350 diesel page: http://members.tripod.com/~A350Diesel/index-17.html
    From what I have read, if the rotating assembly is balanced and a particular head bolt is used to reassemble the engine, this makes it live. I met a guy in Maryland who drag races the 4.3L version of this diesel (came in the midsized Oldsmibile) He told me GM blew it because of the poor factory balance and weak head bolts. Also check out:
    http://www.thedieselpage.com/ This site mainly for 6.2 and 6.5 but has some 350 content from time to time. There is also a listserve for GM diesel which has several members running the 350 diesel. http://www.dalwan.net/mailman/listinfo/diesel

SteveB

7. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

This engine was a gas block that they converted to diesel. The main thing to remember is that the blocks liked to kill themselves. If you find one that is still running I hear that it is a keeper. Have it checked by an indapendant diesel shop. They will do a smoke check and give you a good idea of motor condition.

8. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

DO NOT under any circumstances use a 350 diesel motor, unless you need an anchor for your boat. They are complete junk. GM took a gas motor and made it a diesel, The engine wants to explode like a grenade every time it makes compression. Take the car because you can hot rod it with no emissions bulls***. We do it all the time in New york Because its a safety only inspection with a none gas powered car!!!

9. Blazin'Grrl

Blazin'Grrl Registered Member

I test drove it today, verrryyyy slow. exeleration and it wouldn't go much over 60 w/o a tail wind.....no go.thanks everyone

<font color=purple>Sarah</font color=purple>
    <font color=purple>[​IMG]'83 K-5 Silverado Blazer[​IMG]</font color=purple>