Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chevy Duty forced to change name by GM

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Eric M., Mar 25, 2006.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

This BS is getting rediculous. Kinda like when "Big Dog" forced "Nor Cal Big Dawgs" to change their name. I'll never purchase a thing made my Big Dog ... I can't say the same about GM! Oh well, I can still whine about it.

Got this e-mail from Chevy Duty:

Recently General Motors asked Chevy Duty to discontinue using 'Chevy' in its name. We looked at this requested change as a starting point to not only change the name, but change other parts of our business as well. We want to make the restoration experience better for you, our customer.

We're excited to announce that in a few weeks, Chevy Duty will become Classic Parts of America. With Classic Parts of America you'll still get the greatest selection of parts, pricing and service for your truck restorations. And, we're improving processes so you'll get your orders more efficiently.

Look for the new Classic Parts of America logo on our website and future catalogs. And remember...

The name may change but our commitment to serving you never will.

Thanks,

Mark Jansen
    President
    Classic Parts of America

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yeah I agree...I got the same email about 2 weeks ago too.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lame. Reminds me of Chrysler ****ting their pants over the old Jeep style grille design cues were supposedly being used on the prototype Hummer H2.... which FORD INVENTED when they made jeeps in WWII. :rolleyes:

I understand protecting intellectual properties... but all this does is piss people off. Back in the day when all 4x4 shops used to be called "Earls Jeep Shop" or something and Jeep made them remove the word Jeep from their names... I always thought it was idiotic. Those stores were promoting Jeep and making the word synonamous would offroading at the same time... and it didn't cost Jeep a dime... and yet they killed it. Some guy in a suit making a boatload of cash over at Jeep obviously doesn't have a clue.

j

4. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

Harley Davidson MC did the same thing and said no one can use the name HOG or HARLEY :rolleyes: . I wonder if people will get sued by the manufactures for naming their kid's or pet's after motorcycles or automobiles .

5. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

It would probably depend on whether or not the kid or pet was a commercial enterprise. While I can't see anyone other than a crackhead renting out their kids (and that actually happens from time to time), a racehorse or a racing greyhound is well within the realm of normal possibility.

6. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Oh **** My daughters name is Sierra and my dog is named Muncie

7. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Burn in hell, you trademark-infringing cretin!!

:rolleyes:

8. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I thought Willys made the jeep first in ww2?

9. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Willys designed the first jeeps but Ford won the contract to manufacture most of them because they had higher production capacity. Ford also designed "The Grille" which has become Jeep's trademark and what jekbrown was referring to in his post.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yep, willys used flat bar stock to make their early grilles... which was slower to make than fords version, which was stamped. The nice rounded corners etc on the slots that make a jeeps front distinctive is 100% Ford.

j

11. gmcjimmy88

gmcjimmy88 1/2 ton status

Well I thought Bantom motor company actually designed the first "jeep" but lost the contract due to it not being able to produce enough of them and so it would not interfere with there other government contract. Willy's won the contract with a very cimilar design as Bantom's. Ford starting in the contract to mass produce them since willy's overland could meet demands. At first ford was placing there names on the Jeeps but later had to remove it since it was a willy's.

Sorry to hear that you had to change your business name. I would talk longer but I now fear that the feds will be after if I dont hurry up and destroy the bowtie drawing I was working on in the garage.

12. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

That grill design was later deamed tactical in the field and won a case for GM -V- jeep over the humvee grill. The vertical break up of the jeep/hummer grill is a common in natural landscape where as a long horrizontal one can stand out.

13. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

:haha: Someday, somebody's gonna get sued over a fart.
    Senility, I mean Seniority test; What were Denny's restaurants original name? There was a law suit involved.

14. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

15. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

16. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Give the b!tch a can of wd40 and tell her to go get a job.

17. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

18. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Avonti/Studabaker (spell?) was considering producing a car simaler to the H1 but was sued into submission by GM. Their (GM) biggest bitch was that the grill resembled the H1 grill to closely. Just doesn't seem right that GM should be alowed to win bolth sides of a court case like this.

Murphy's Golden Rule, those who have the gold make the rules.