Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chevy/GMC 4 wheel drive front axle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tryme, Jan 3, 2004.

1. tryme

tryme Newbie

Iam in the process of building a early model 4-wheel drive. But would like to install a later model chevy small block and trans. Willing to use a standard or automatic 4x4 trans. The trucks front third member & drive shaft is on the pass.side,not drivers side of the truck. Did chevy make a transmission,that the front 4x4 driveshaft can be on the pass. side. tracymart@hotmail.com

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

yep....i think from 67 and up are all on the pass side, maybe even sooner than 67

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Not really sure on what you are asking, but here is what I know (I think) Chevy switched from passenger side drop to driver side drop in 88 IIRC when the pickup bodystyle changed. Prolly your best option is to run the late model motor that you want which should still bolt to your tranny (unless there is a specific reason you want a late model tranny) then you don't even run into the front axle driveline problem. Other option is to run a Ford front axle which has driver side drop (high pinion Dana 60) is the prferred axle people use when they do a solid axle swap in the late models. Hope I helped some and didn't give you any bad facts /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

the options are endless just tell us what kind of motor you want to run and we can tell u a bunch of trans and tcase options alot of Chevrolet stuff is interchangible