Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chevy High Performance this month

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Jun 16, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

A must read if you like LS1s. They have a new GM Performance Parts Carb swap setup. It uses a real distributor and a mechanical fuel pump so you can avoid all electronics all together(except of course the power to the coil). Only issue is it puts the distributor at the front of the motor, so it looks like a Ford, except for the big GM and GM Performance Parts logos :D

They also have a beautiful 69 Camaro with a blown LS6 making 650HP. A must see for fans of the first gen F Bodies(like me).

Also an article about making 602HP out of a stock bore and stroke LS1. Awesome stuff.

Yeah this is kind of pointless, I just thought it was really cool stuff.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Equally pointless post, the LS1 is such a great engine as is, why would someone take away that greatness by taking the induction system back 100 years?

I know all about top end performance, but for driveability and pure enjoyment, does ANYONE that's driven a factory LS1 equipped vehicle (heck, fuel injection at all) desire to go back to a carb??

If I was doing an LS1 swap, I don't know why anyone would deal with the physical issues that arise, then give up on the electrical side and go carbed.

Maybe it's just me, but I think the same thing of Vortec carb swaps. Why waste your time getting an engine that is great BECAUSE of fuel injection, then removing much of what makes it great? I know the engine design has other benefits not related to the injection, but carbs are just the easy way out in most cases, and I doubt an LS1 swap, purely on the mechanical side, is easy swap in the first place.

I was looking at the gmperformance parts site to see what all they do with those parts, but I don't see it.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

it may not be on their site but it exists. Its made for racing, for sanctioning bodies that won't allow computers of any form(including ignition control). Personally, the LS1 is an awesome long block, minus the induction and ignition system. So the idea of picking one up for like 1000 and slapping a carb setup on it really appeals. I really want to put a LS1 in my dad's 69 Firebird. If it happens, it will be fuel injected all the way. Computers are your friend, you just have to learn a little about them. I can't program one(yet, someday I intend to learn) but I know how all the systems are designed to work, so the mystery of a computer is gone for me.

4. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've probably been one of the biggest LS1 proponents on this site.

If they only cost a grand, I'd be all over one like flies on sh¡t. Fair market value for one is right around $3k. They'll eventually become affordable like LT1s and Vortecs did.

I got my magazine this week. I haven't had a chance to read it yet. Did they make a mention of LS1EDIT?

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Not that I saw. THe 602 HP unit used an aftermarket computer system and the Carb setup of course used none.

With all the money I have in my 383, if I would have realized how much I was going to spend(stupid of me really) I likely would have bought an LS1 from a yard. There is one in Philadelphia that deals just in FBody and Corvette take out motors.

6. dyeager535

You think this is actually going to happen?

The LS1's can't just be bored out, correct? So when the price starts coming down on the motors, it's going to be because of age (mileage), right?

I'm just wondering if by the time "affordable" becomes a word you can use for LT1's, if the engines will need expensive machine work to get back to "new". According to what I had seen before, boring an LS1 isn't possible due to the way the block is cast/designed, so you end up having to sleeve the block, which as I understand it, is a fairly expensive process.

Are the iron block motors any more tolerant of boring than the aluminum, or is that ALL about the design of the engine in general?

Am I missing some information, or is my speculation perhaps going to be correct? From the tight tolerances that the LS1 apparently has, perhaps 200K will be when the engines just start breaking in?

Definitely not berating the motors, I've become a believer. :)

7. CyberSniper

The LS1 has thin sleeves which GM never intended anyone to bore. Apparently you can though. I don't think you can go more than .010" though...

LS1 is a fuel injected motor that never runs rich... it always has full synthetic in it... I don't expect to see much cylinder wear out of one. Most LS1 motors will outlast the car they're in. Like most automobiles today, it'll get wrecked before it wears out.

LT1s go for under a grand these days. So do Vortecs. I don't think that's a bad price to pay for good heads, roller lifters, and little to no wear. I don't know if LS1s will ever be much less than a grand though. They will drop because they aren't the hot ticket anymore (aluminum 6.0L). The parts on them are just plain too expensive to get too cheap.

8. CyberSniper

9. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

I am in the middle of swapping an lt1 into my truck (just waiting to recieve the harness) it was actually a very easy swao, i cannot see an ls1 being that much harder. i kept the fuel injection. all i did was send the harness out and when it returns i only have to hook up 4 wires and plug the rest into where they go. total swap will cost around 2500. this is after fuel pumps, fuel cell, gas lines, hoses, fluids, motor cost (1500 w/ everything) harness, and other misc. items. Well worth it for a fuel injected motor. hell theres complete fuel injection kits that cost more than the cost of what im doing! Also as for the ls1 being a great long block, its not great its as good as they get! the heads flow over 300 cfms! stock! there are no aftermarket heads that outflow them by more then a couple cfm. i wish i could of afforded an ls1 swap 3000 + initial cost was too steep.

10. dyeager535

Funny, I found that article a bit earlier and read it too...455 CID LS1. heh.

Found this one too. I like the title. LS1 boring is mentioned, but it's not real indepth. If you ask me, from that article you posted, if sleecing the LS1 requires the steps they took, I can't imagine the machining is anywhere near affordable.

GM must have LS1 shortblocks you can buy, I certainly hope they are less than the ZL1 427 block.

As long as the engines are taken care of, they certainly may be in good shape with well over 100K miles on them.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
  11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

LS1s are about 5K with computer and everything from GM. Not horrible really.

12. dyeager535

Computer and everything? Heck, thats not bad at all. Go price aftermarket AL blocks. I think the GM ZL1 block is $5k bare.

Buy it now, GM will probably disco it in a year or so. :p: