Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chevy luvs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MEPR, Oct 21, 2002.

1. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

i was wondering what all you off roaders think of the chevy luvs. I have one and use it to go off roading and believe it or not it turned out to be a little sand hot rod, it goes up hills and over jumps and all that.
    So what do you think...

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I like the little trucks. There's one close to here that's been turned into a drag truck. It's yellow and has big slicks and a chopped top. Looks really nice.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Chevy Luv is a Izusu. I had a trooper and it did surprisingly well in stock form. It still has the IFS downfall of very limited front wheel travel.
    Now my good Bud street rodded one and it's pretty cool. He has a Built 350 shoe horned into it complet with a Mr. Gasket bug catcher sticking up through the hood. Truck takes trophy's in most shows it is in. Weighs about 2500lb and will scoot along quite nicely. Goes sideways when it hits second and barks the hell out of the tires when it hit's third!

4. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sounds like my buddy who took a old Mazda RX-7 and gutted it out and move the firewall back for more central weight then stuffed a 350 and an auto tranny in it. It will go sidways into 2nd gear too. Thing we are waiting for next is narrows 12 bolt for the back w/ 3.73s.

5. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

The best part about having a small truck, good gas mileage.
    The downside, groundclearance and wheel travel. I am hoping to fix this whith a 4"lift on my truck. And power is not an issue whith my truck i have about 110hp and about the same for torque (thats a little less than one per cu)becouse i only have to move 3000lbs (thats whith myself and all my gear in the truck!).

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

A buddy of mine had a little Chevy Luv pick up that we built a comeplete tube frame for with intergrated roll cage. We used fullsize Chevy suspension. Made it easy when ordering the lift. Had to flair the hell out of the finders, but looked really cool when it was done. It's alot of work, but you can design it for whatever drive line you like. We went 383 stroker, Th350/Np-203 with 3/4 ton Dana 44 - 14 Bolt FF with 4:56 gears and 38" tires . 6" lift, body sat higher then stock, simulair to a 3" body lift.(We built the tube frame that way on purpus. It was painted bright orange and black. Looked and drove good. Was real fun running down shallow rivers, awsum mudding,...ect. Just an all around fun truck to drive.