Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chevy M1009

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by markpoland, Feb 20, 2005.

1. markpoland

markpoland Newbie

Hi,
    My name is Marecki and I come from Poland.
    I own a 1986 military M1009 with a 6.2 liter diesel engine.

I have a liltle problem with the engine. It produced a loud "chain like" noise, so I disassembled it. Is the injection pump shaft suppose to be able to rattle around while the chain cover is off? Or are the bearings in the pump simply too worn out.

I have a couple of questions too.
    1. Are the parts in my Blazer the same as in a K5? (both the same year)
    (I'm interested especialy in brakes, steering, and axles).
    2. Is my engine (6.2 litre diesel) the same as in non-military versions? (exept ignition running on 24V power suply)
    3. What do You think about parts from LMC Truck?
    4. Is it nessesary to lenghten the drive shafts, and brake lines for a 4" lift, or will the original ones be ok?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've never had the timing chain cover off of mine, but I've had the injector pump out and there was certainly no 'play' at the end of it.

1) M1009 is a K5 and the only real difference is the 24V parts.
    2) Your 6.2 should be nearly identical, not quite sure if all the military 6.2's were non EGR though.
    3) Some LMC parts are OK, but the majority are made in China and quality could be better.
    4) Driveshafts are often fine with a 4" lift. Brake lines should be extended, or drop brackets used

Welcome to CK5

Rene

3. Marecki

Marecki Newbie

Thanks for Your reply and sorry about that thread mess.

My friend asked me to translate some more so here it is:

To be specific the problem with the pump goes like this.
    When it's out, the free play on the shaft is barely noticible. It gets very visible when the pump is mounted on the cover and has the drive wheel on.
    The movement of the shaft gets smaller though when I push in the bolt with the spring located on the shaft. Is it suppose to be that way? And if yes, then what could be makeing all that noise?
    The chain has less than 1/2" free play. Heard it is ok for the 6.2 D engine and should work just fine.
    I tried taking off the belts running the alternators-that wasn't it.
    Is it posible that the power steering pump is making all that racket?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Are there any rub marks on the inside of the timing chain cover? Accurate timing is very important for a diesel, you might consider either replacing the timing chain or upgrading to a gear drive.

I would certainly try removing belts one at a time to see if the noise stops when something isn't connected. The play you feel may be normal, and it may be not normal...pretty hard to tell from here and I haven't worked on my own injection pump that much to be certain.

I'm sure some of the other diesel guys will chime in, although being a weekend the replies might be slower in coming.

PS, I deleted the other threads so that all the responses will be easier to find.

Rene

5. dieselponyexpress

dieselponyexpress 1/2 ton status

Hi Marecki,

another european CK5 member. Welcome aboard!

Rene is right: all military 6.2 are the non EGR J-type engines.

Not sure about the TH400 / NP208 combo. Maybe it was also available for the civilians in these years.

Some minor differences could be in the springs. The M1009 is rated as 3/4ton where the K5 is only 1/2ton.

If there's loud rattle, you should suspect the timing. How are the marks aligned (pump flange & top of cover)?

Not very much help from me - sorry.

Regards,
    Walter

6. Marecki

Marecki Newbie

Will check that for sure. Thanks.:waytogo:

If You'd be interested You can find some pics of our rides and us here:

www.atone.pl

The text is in polish but that don't matter, just click and watch :).

c'ya