Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chevy or Dodge NV4500

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gaza66, Aug 26, 2006.

1. gaza66

gaza66 Newbie

Hi all, I have a N/A 6.5 in a 130 6x6 landrover camper, I had gotten most of the stuff ready to turbo it and then the head has developed a crack. Biggest problem for me in the UK is spares, everything has to be imported from the US. So I decide if I can't get spares in the UK how on earth will I get spares when I travel around europe/north africa in it. I suppose I should have thought of that before I put the 6.5 in it. I am now seriously thinking about putting a cummins 6bta in enstead, these are not out of dodges but alot of commercial vehicles use them so spares are not an issue. The truck weighs about 10,000 lbs and has a salisbury front and both rear axles, I think they are very similar to a dana 60. Now my question I have a GM NV4500 mated via an adapter to an LT230 transfer box, I know I can get a cummins to chevy adapter from a P30 step van, if I go this route what apart from the adapter do I need?. Alternatively I could spend more and go the all dodge route. NV4500 is only a couple of years old so dodge bell would bolt right up. will the gm 1.1/8" input shaft be up to the job if I go the P30 adapter route or should I go all dodge and get the 1.1/4" input shaft? the motor I have in mind is a 215hp model so it would be a shame not to do a few cheap mods to it. So basically will a
    GM nv4500 hold upto a 240/600lbs cummins for long? Thanks in advance for any input.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If the GM 4500 has a smaller input shaft (very likely) then I would use a Dodge 4500. Breaking an input on those NV4500's is not an uncommon thing with some high powered Dodge Cummins trucks. I would go ahead and a Dodge 4500 to simplify things and no cheesy adapters to crack.

You will be barely able to only get a measly 245/600 out of a 12v Cummins with the P7100 pump. Add a #10 plate and it will add 50-100HP IIRC. It should put you in the 300HP/700+ft lbs range.

3. gaza66

gaza66 Newbie

Hi, the chevy input shaft is definitely 1.125" and the dodge diesel is 1.25". What sort of power/torque will the gm nv4500 put up with? Will it be OK with a standard 215bhp cummins? BTW I have a 12" LUK clutch. Anybody else have an opinion?

4. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

On my 97 cummins with a #100 plate and wastegate mods I can spin my stock clutch. I have it de-tuned no to prolong its life. A friend with a nasty cummins has already broke an input shaft and got a 1.375 (? I think) billit input from some shaft company and has good luck with it... even twin turbo'd now.

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Also, the Dodge setup will take a 13" clutch iirc, the GM bell/flywheel only takes a 12". Lots more clutch upgrades available for the Dodge flavour.

6. MNorby

The stock NV4500 runs a 12.25" clutch and the stock NV5600 6 speed runs a 13" clutch.

7. gaza66

gaza66 Newbie

Thanks for the replies. If I am changing my bell/clutch and input shaft to go the dodge route would I be better off going for the 1.375 I/P shaft or sticking with the 1.25 I/P shaft . I followed up one of the earlier leads and I can get a 1.375 I/P shaft for a NV4500 from southbend. Also which pilot bearing/bush is best for a long life?

8. MNorby

From what my friend with the SB input shaft said they told him they have only had 1 failure at that time of them and they warrantied it. They run them in the serious HP pullin trucks. If you wanna build it the first time I would go that route is the $$$ allows