Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chevy or GMC?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 383Jimmy, Jul 1, 2003.

1. 383Jimmy

383Jimmy Guest

Which would you rather have and why? I Have a 76 Jimmy (High Sierra...sounds cool to me), and unless I tell some people I have a K5 Blazer, they don't know what I'm talking about. Have there ever been any significant differences between the labels?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Other than a few trim pieces to differentiate between the brands, they have used identical parts (and RPO codes) for many, many years, and were/are even built on the same assembly line. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I like the BOWTIE /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

On first gens, the grille is totally different, and I like the Jimmy grille much better. After 73, there's not much difference.

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

For 67-72 trucks, I prefer the GMC's, because of the 4 headlight-grills. Well...and I have one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif There were many more differences between the two during the 67-72 generation.

After '73, the two were more alike, so I'd drive either. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Chevy and GMC trucks used to be completely different, different engine options, different axle options, different grill, dash... They even had different assembly plants in different states. How many people do you know that know what a GMC 305/351/401/478 V6 is?

But by 1967 GMC started offering Chevy engines, by 1969 they stopped putting their own V6 in the pickups. By 1973 there was little difference between Chevy or GMC trucks and they even were being made on the same assembly lines.

Personally I prefer the GMC's.

7. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How many people do you know that know what a GMC 305/351/401/478 V6 is?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

What about the 366 GMC truck engine? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif My neighbor uses one in his '38 Farmall and it kicks ass!

9. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What about the 366 GMC truck engine? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif My neighbor uses one in his '38 Farmall and it kicks ass!

[/ QUOTE ]

366 is a tall deck big block Chevy motor.

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My 81 Jimmy has a GMC tagged tailgate (1990), the dash pad is also from a 1990 Jimmy, but the grill is 83 Chev with the bowtie.

Rene

11. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

GMC!!!!! they tend to be more luxurious. ive seen 89 chevy suburbans and they dont have the overhead console i have and they're just not as nice inside. i love my GMC so thats where my vote goes. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

GMC's (newer ones) tend to be slightly more upscale than similar Chevies. Also, used GMC's sell for less, even though they are almost the same exact thing as their Chevrolet counterpart. That's why GMC's are better.

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Bzzt!! Oh sorry, wrong answer muddysub, but thanks for playing! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Both rigs could be ordered from the factory with the exact same options, it just depends on what boxes were checked on the order form. My '90 Chevrolet version of the Suburban has the full-tilt option package, including that overhead console that you've only seen in your GMC. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

In the last couple of years GMC has really tried to differentiate themselves, probably in a vain effort to prevent going the way of the Oldsmobile brand. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Why should GM bother to have 2 truck divisions, with 2 sets of management, engineering, marketing, sales, parts, and lots of other very expenseive overhead, to sell what is really the same thing as the Chevrolet brand trucks? All it does it drain millions, if not billions, of dollars from General Motors bottom line. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Anyway, in previous years, you could drop in at the Chevy dealer and get the RPO codes for all of the options available on a Chevy and then drop by the GMC dealer and get the RPO codes for all of the options available on a GMC, and you would find that other than the part number for the base vehicle (Only 1 letter was different between the Chevy and the GMC) and the trim packages, (Silverado for Chevy vs. High Sierra for GMC) ALL of the other RPO codes were identical. You could outfit each of them exactly the same way. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

14. 383Jimmy

383Jimmy Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    Chevy and GMC trucks used to be completely different, different engine options, different axle options, different grill, dash... They even had different assembly plants in different states. How many people do you know that know what a GMC 305/351/401/478 V6 is?

But by 1967 GMC started offering Chevy engines, by 1969 they stopped putting their own V6 in the pickups. By 1973 there was little difference between Chevy or GMC trucks and they even were being made on the same assembly lines.

Personally I prefer the GMC's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool. I'm sorry to say I had never heard of those engines. Good information /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I've had my old Jimmy for 8 years now. I'm glad it's a GMC. I'm sure I would've loved a K5 for 8 years too.

15. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

chevy and gmc are one in the same annymore. I never know about those big block gmc motors, those things are huge bet they made some TORQUE! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

16. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

67 and up had Chevy engine's. The old 305, 351, etc, had lot's of torque, but You had to have lot's of Gas too. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I personally don't care. All of my GM trucks are Chevys but if they were GMCs, I wouldn't think any different. As long as it's got a solid front axle and some tough parts and a Chevy V8, I'm happy.

18. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

one major advantage of chevy over GMC. try getting vavle covers, air cleaners or floormats that say GMC trucks on them. ive only seen 1 set of GMC floormats before and ive never seen any engine dressup parts that say GMC. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

19. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

I just think of the old joke
    What is the difference for a Chevy and GMC? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Lock washers
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    366 is a tall deck big block Chevy motor.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif