Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chevy Owners PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevyblazerladyinPA, Dec 10, 2005.

1. chevyblazerladyinPA

chevyblazerladyinPA Registered Member

:confused: Hello Blazer owners I am a new Blazer owner just bought my first 4 months ago. Got a 2000 Chevy Blazer ( my dream vehicle).I have always wanted one. Well I am having troubles and no one seems to know what could be causing it. I have no heat. and with living in PA with temps lately in the 20's everyday it gets pretty chilly without a heater. It is odd had heat till Thanksgiving day, went out and started the truck and just didn't seem to warm up. I thought might be due to that it was only 11 degrees out, the next week had heat back but it was warmer too.
    Now this past week i barely have any you can feel it there, but just no where near as warm as should be or was. Now I have had talked to about 10 different mechanics including my dad who has worked on Chevy's for 40 yrs. They all seem to be lost. Seems to be blowing both cold and luke warm air. We have changed the thermostat. The fluids are full the radiator is full. The hises that go into the heater core are warm to touch, but i was told you should not be able to sit there and hold them and you can.
    Please Help!!! [​IMG] :confused:

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

It could be a clogged heater core. Find a warm shop or garage, remove the 2 hoses that go into the heater core, get a water hose and try blowing water through each fitting. If it is clogged that should get it out.

Ira

3. chevyblazerladyinPA

Thanks

Thanks,
    I am just getting done work for the week and had heard about that. My cousin has a garage and am going over there Monday morning to do that.
    I heard something new today that has been making me think.
    What you think about that DexCool stuff. I heard that it is known for clogging heater cores and radiators.
    What you think??

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

If dexcool is the orange stuff I do not think that would make sense. That stuff is basically Phosphate free anti-freeze. Since there is no phosphate I would think it would foul things less. No chemical proof or anything just my beliefs. I run that in my Saturn and it does not have any problems. To my knowledge it was designed to be run in motors with aluminum blocks and/or heads.

Ira

5. Tominator II

Tominator II 1/2 ton status

I would look for a problem in the controls for the heater core /ac air box. Also, does it have a vacuum controlled heater core to engine block hose? Look for broken vacuum lines, bad fuses too.

6. chevyblazerladyinPA

Ok thanks for the good advice i know the hoses that go into the firewall are warm to the touch, and look as though there are no leaks. Have not been seeing any fluids leaking out anywhere.
    My temp control stays normal. All the blower controls and temp controls turn from off to on and you can hear them when they go from one to the other.

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

if/when it mixes with conventional ethelyne glycol antifreeze, it will gum all sorts of stuff up with a brown sludge. IMO, this stuff is garbage. rather than wasting your time trying to flush the heater core, take it to a radiator shop, and have the entire system power flushed free of the Dexcrap, and have fresh conventional green antifreeze put in.

8. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

The heater controls in the newer blazers are a PITA. Had one in the garage a weeks ago for the same issue. He had a cracked vacuum line and the head controller was bad.
    If you end up needing a controller i can get you one from my neighbor. He has a totaled blazer in his garage....trying to part it out.

9. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

My all iron 4.3 in my 99 Jimmy ran Dex-Cool from the factory. It's a very low maintenance coolant. 10 year, 100,000 mile change interval I believe.

How high does your temperature gage go in the truck while you are trying to get heat? If it does not go up to half-way between 100 and 210 on the gage, you either have a stuck open thermostat or a fan clutch that is stuck on all the time.

Pretty much, these are your ideas...

1. Stuck open thermostat
    2. Bad fan clutch (on motor)
    3. Blend door/heater control unit problem
    4. Clogged heater core

I really do not believe it is a clogged heater core, and that should really be the last thing you check, since if it can clog the heater core, your radiator would be clogged as well and you would be overheating the truck....even in 20 degree weather.

10. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

If you squeeze one of your heater hoses you should be able to feel the coolant flowing by. If you feel it flowing then it's not clogged.

11. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

clogged heater cores are pretty common on s-10s.....................

mixing dexcool and conventional doesn't make sludge, just drops the additive package to less then the green stuff, and all that you've heard of dexcool clogging stuff is kind of true, but it is AIR that gets in the system(from a leak, ect) that make dex sludge up

12. gmtech954

gmtech954 Registered Member

those year s/t trucks are known for heater cores plugging up. Especcially if you have had any point where your coolant has gotten a little low. Dexcool works fine in a sealed system with no air in it, but the moment it starts to get airated it produces a gel like substance.

13. chevyblazerladyinPA

My fluids have all ben at a good level. The only time I had to add any was when we changed the thermostat.
    I have had so many things told to me. My father who I said has been a GM mechanic for 40 yrs said also to check the vacum hoses.
    What ua think about that? I would just go to him but he lives more than 1200 miles away now.
    Thanks

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

think what you want, i know what i've fixed, and know that the system had no leaks. while i agree, air does cause it to sludge, so does the green stuff.

as for the 100,000 mi service interval, if you believe that, you're probably also the same type of person that gets a week out of a pair of underwear.

15. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

I agree there, I have a 04 Blazer Xtreme that needs a flush, and it has only 27K on the clock

16. 89GMCSuburban

That's what it said in the manual, but it doesn't excuse it from regular checks......just stating fact guys, don't freak out on me.

Strange...I've had four S10's and never had this plugging problem...

17. 89GMCSuburban

Are you taking it to a shop, or are you trying to do it yourself?

What about your temp gage? You never told us how warm the truck gets in the first place. If it's not even getting warm, you won't have any heat.

18. k5 mike

k5 mike Registered Member

hey , The water pump might be out

19. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've heard bad about the vacuum heater controls. Not always working right. I also seen the orange antifreeze gum up. I've flushed my 963500 when I got it, and got globs of it coming out of the lower rad hose. (it plugged up the petcock bleeder) I put green Peak in that is compatible with all types of antifreeze, and metals.