Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chevy Quadrasteer Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by revapril55, Sep 6, 2005.

1. revapril55

revapril55 Newbie

Recently my 2003 Chevy Quadrasteer 4x4 was damaged in the right front tire and wheel area in an accident. The original tires have 30K miles on them. The insurance adjuster accepts responsibility to replace only the damaged tire. My argument is that since all tires steer, and they independently drive from the 4x4, shouldn't all the tires be replaced at once? Safety is my main concern, since it seems to me that the traction and steering will be compromised if there is only one new tire and 3 old tires on the vehicle. I would appreciate any input. Thanks

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Look through the owner's manual and see what it says regarding replacement tires.......it may very well specify that all tires need replaced at the same time. If not, maybe check with the GM dealership or a tire company. I know at least one local tire company highly recommends all 4x4's replace all 4 tires at a time.

In reality though, I would at least want to replace both front tires.

3. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Careful what you ask for. Insurance companies have a term they call betterment(sp?). They could offer you a wheel/tire combo from a salvage yard with around 30K miles.

When I had my southern rust free '91 sub insured I asked about replacement sheetmetal if in a wreck. I would have wanted new steel but that was betterment since the vehicle was over 10yrs old, I would get OEM parts from a salvage yard. So I told them it better be from down south, in short they said NOT. Would be local michigan parts, or atleast thats what they would try to deliver. I could take the $$ for the repairs and spend some extra to get the new parts I wanted thou. It was pointed out that if they did,nt do "betterment" then I wouldn't let them off with "worserment" :deal: .

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

why would the fact that the rear tires steer have anything to do with the amount of tread on the tires (anywhere on the truck)?

if it was all wheel drive, id say ok...but if not deal with it.

ryan