Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chevy questions.....pop quiz...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hi pinion, Nov 10, 2004.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Ok guys pop quiz......how many types of trucks,including stepside trucks, from years 73, 74 , 75,.....did gm Make??? I want to find a cantidate with 3/4 ton running gear already underneath, 350 turbo 400, and 205 or 203. I am going to try and utilize the 3/4 ton stuff, tranny, etc to do a cheap build. Can you guys lead me in a direction??? I was thinking long bed. What trucks came with all this, and 4:10s stock???? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Re: Chevy questions.....pop quiz

The goal is to dodge the Cali smog rules, so i can only go up to 75. I wanted to use all the existing stuff, mabey put on a 4 lift and some tires, and be done with it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif So, something that has 3/4 ton. a 400 , 14 bolt, someone has to know a good cantidate i could start with ....... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

prolly a 80's long bed 3/4 ton, some came with the TH400 np208 compo, 14bff or semi float, 8 lug 10b front /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    saw one at the junkyard this past weekend, wanted $700 for the whole thing /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

no, has to be 75 and under. Mabey even 60s /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif im going old school /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

6. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the time, i was thinking like500- 1000 bucks range /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif some beater. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif BTW im checking out a 75 c20 tommorow, anything i should check???? I want 4 10 gears , a 400, 3/4 ton. Thats it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I was thinking sand it down and primer black or grey /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

COMMON GUYS!!!!! What about GMC??? This is ck5 isnt it?? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Just so You know in January 76 models wont need to be smogged /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

9. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

10. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

BTW, the main goal is to utilize the 3/4 ton stuff, the tranny. the running gear and gears .4:10 work fine with 35s /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif a cheap build. Witch one of these would be a good cantidate?? I like the longbed, but anything other than a k30 wont have the 1 ton stuff. And those you cant find anymore /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Just so You know in January 76 models wont need to be smogged /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the rolling exemption stopped?

12. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the rolling exemption stopped?

[/ QUOTE ]I dont think it did /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

13. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Your only choice is a 3/4 ton 4X4 to get the drivetrain you want. They did not use a TH400 in 4X4s in your year range, I don't think (maybe in 75 or 76?). They are all long beds - fleet or step sides are out there (a lot more fleets).

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Go for a '75-'76 3/4 ton 4x4 Chevy pickup. They will have either a 350,400,454 and should be a th400. AVOID ONE WITH A 203! You don't want full time 4wd. If you don't need a 4wd I have a '76 C30 1 ton dually if you are interested. OK, black and silver paint, low mile 454, brand new built th400, D70HD, and 4.10's. It's a camper special. $3K.

15. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Since you're wanting the 3/4 ton stuff you're confined to 2 models (in each brand) for those years - fleetside and step side (both long wheel base).

There are no short wheel base 3/4 tons and the true 1 ton 4x4 was not introduced until 77.

16. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

This is all fine and dandy, but , can you guys give me like a certain number like C-20 ???? Whats the deal on that??? Or just any longbed fleetside/stepside? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

OR.......what about an old deisel?????? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

18. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Your best bet to me would be to piece together a truck. No GM 4WD in the years mentioned came factory with a TH400, but you could find a 400/208 combo and swap it in. I would look for a 73-76 shortbed(for better wheelbase) 1/2 ton, convert to 3/4 ton with a 14B rear (FF or Semi float), put some lower gears in it, do a poor mans Doubler (TH700/NP208), and go wheeling. You could do it for cheap, keep it smog legal, and have fun.

19. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Your best bet to me would be to piece together a truck. No GM 4WD in the years mentioned came factory with a TH400, but you could find a 400/208 combo and swap it in. I would look for a 73-76 shortbed(for better wheelbase) 1/2 ton, convert to 3/4 ton with a 14B rear (FF or Semi float), put some lower gears in it, do a poor mans Doubler (TH700/NP208), and go wheeling. You could do it for cheap, keep it smog legal, and have fun.

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah brother ,that was the idea, but that sounds like too much work /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif i just wanted something i could lift and put 35s on. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif i know this is way off the beaten path but i had my eye on this one [​IMG] it could be another plumbing truck ,and a wheeling machine /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I wanted something with 3/4 ton,and 4:10 primarily /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

20. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Whell i looked at a 75 longbed, a scottsdale, i took some numbers down, it appears to be a camper special,i wish someone could tell me if its worth buying.......the right transfer case, etc. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif