Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chevy rear wheel cylinders

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Jul 13, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Sep 3, 2002
    wtf is with them?? Know idea what I mean, wait for a nice rainy cool day, then try to drive. Tap the brake and feel them back brakes lock up. All 4 Chevy trucks I have owned have done this. Is it a sign the wheel cylinders are going bad or what? I've been told by someone who works on Chevy fleet trucks day in and day out that its common. I usually push the pedal to the floor a couple times and they loosen up. By the way I've owned an 84, 89, 95, and 97 and they've all doen it at one time or another, though the 84 did it more than the rest.
  2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

May 31, 2000
    Re: Chevy rear wheel cylinders *DELETED*

Post deleted by HarryH3
  3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Jul 24, 2003
    My 74 K20 locks the back wheels every day upon the first stop at the end of my driveway--its done this for 14 years!Its always worse when damp or rainy out,or if I get slush in the drums in the winter--makes it real fun to drive in the snow with the plow on /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif-I have never had an E-brake cable hooked up to the shoes,I thought this may have been the reason,but many other similar truck owners and drivers say theirs do the same thing--maybe its metallic brake linings,and rust that forms on the drums overnight??.My 82 K20 does it too,but as the last post said,the grease seal had leaked gear oil on the shoes,and I only cleaned them off with brakecleaner--new shoes coming when I'm richer--right now I cant even afford to put fuel in either one! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifI've noticed that GM trucks tend to lock the rear wheels easily even when the brakes are perfect-maybe its just too light back there. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif