Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chevy Restoration Pack

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by woody9, Feb 7, 2004.

1. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

this was over in another thread, but thought it worthy of it's own..
    Chevy has a source for good poop on your truck (well, at least for the year of manufacture.) The restoration package they send includes complete engineering specifications for your year truck, and also a very long list of parts vendors for classic Chevys.

NOTE: The USA Restoration Pack will NOT give you specific information for your individual vehicle, but generic info for the model year of your truck.
    more info (my source): Chevy Resto Pack
    Have your VIN!!!!!
    Phone: 1-800-222-1020 (Free in the U.S.)

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I got that pack about 6 or 7 yrs ago and was very disappointed in the info it had. It just had names of companies listed under very general headings. I called up some of the companies and got frustrated when I would get the "we don't carry that for your year truck". I have an 89 Blazer so you'd think most companies would carry stuff for it. Turns out that most of the listings are for 50s and 60s vehicles.

3. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Can't speak to the other years, but i like the specs it gives for my 91, as well as the option codes....
    Don't have the list of companies.. but figured they'd be more for RESTORATION.. not good ol' 4x4 truck mods! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

the places in the book are places certified by GM to provide restoration parts for gm vehicles in general

the other part of the pack is photo copied sections of the original specification book for a given year of the vehicle you ordered the pack for, and usually includes sections for 10-30 series trucks, depending on if they even still have any of the original sections anymore, in which for most years they do, chassis cabs, pickups, forward controls, cowl windshields, stake beds, motorhomes, etc. although technically 73-up are built as chassis cabs and the bed installed was listed on SPID label, unlike in '72 older years where there were several model codes for pickups and so forth.,

best i can explain right now

GM doesnt carry vehicle specific info, they threw it all out, never kept any of it, not even a copy of the build sheet or anything, i have heard a rumor that employees on the assembly lines werent supposed ot stuff the sheets in the vehicles but most of the time did anyways, so i imagine they were supposed to be thrown away in the plant's trash instead

finding anyone who was ever an employee of a GM assembly plant in the 80's or older proves to be impossible, so cant find anything out on that, these ppl must disappear off the face of the earth or something after working the lines,.