Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chevy Silverado Highsteer Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CYJKrawler, Nov 9, 2006.

1. CYJKrawler

CYJKrawler Newbie

Oct 13, 2006
    Working on a build of a Silverado pickup truck. I have the 2wd steering box and a pitman arm with a small drop. Stock springs on the front, pretty flat if not neg arch, and this puts the pitman about 3" right over the spring. Have high steer arms on D60 front and looks like the cross member is going to need some modification for the drag link and tie rod to clear. What to you Chevy guys do about steering link issues with D60 fronts and high steer, flex, cross members, small area between frame and front spring, etc?
  2. bigblock72

bigblock72 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Oct 18, 2005
    You're going to need at least 4 inches of lift to make a crossover steering work, in fact there is no real advantage of going with crossover/highsteer unless you're lifted anyway. I'm not sure what year your truck is bu I'm going to guess that it's a 73-87 vintage. In order to get the draglink to clear the front crossmember on these trucks requires some modifications or replacement with one from ORD. Once you take of those issues you shouldn't have any clearance issues with flex provided your pitman arm doesn't drop more than two inches.