Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chevy TBI Upgrade?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muscle, Jan 3, 2006.

1. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

I have a 400 sm blk engine I built up running approx 375 HP. Been looking to upgrade from carb to TBI system. Figured I had a budget of $1500 to do this with.

Problem is, Most TBI kits will not handle the CFM I require with this motor. Most places ive talked to have a big block TBI which will go 670CFM.

I have a 750 cfm holley now. I did, at one time when the quadrajet died, place a 670 cfm edelbrock on the motor and it really held it back. (no balls) So i picked up a 750 Holley 3310 carb and got back my power. So a 670 cfm TBI system worries me.

This guy http://www.customefis.com/ builds a custom 4bbl throttle body and wondered if anybody used him before? His custon unit is shown here - http://www.customefis.com/pod.html

He seems to know what he is doing, but Im not sure he has built many of these units and has a good tested history.

What do you all think? And do you have any other sources for a TBI kit. Ive tried affordable, Howell...

Thanks.

2. francis

francis Registered Member

well I have seen on ebay many times, were this guy takes stock 5.7 tbi units and bores them out to 700 cfm and in the process he completlly rebuilds it with new everything. All for two hundred somthing dollars. but as luck would have it I can't find him to give you a link so just keep your eyes peeled they are out there.

3. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Extreme EFI

Try Extreme EFI is the search field on E-Bay

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

FYI-the last 500ci Eldorado Caddies had TBI. I wonder what their flow rating was????

5. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

turbocity.com has a big block TBI rated at 730cfm

6. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

Ok ill look those up, in the mean time let me know if any of you have a tbi upgrade and what you installed.