Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chevy Tech.... For the more extreme end of the spectrum.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Alaska Offroad, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Alaska Offroad

Alaska Offroad Registered Member

I view this board once and a while, but dont post much. I think that this is a great board, but Im not sure what all the rules are, so I guess I will make this post at the risk of being flamed. I hope that people will follow the link posted below and be inspired to work on their own rigs as I have. I started out in the 4x4 world just like the rest of you, but over the last few years I have taken an extreme interest in hardcore wheeling. I cant get enough, and spend nearly every free moment trying to learn more about it. This is the reason for our website. I wanted to construct a rig capable of completing the most difficult trails using everyday materials. I have wandered away from that goal as I am currently working on putting a 4link in the front of my 76 chevy. Im using Coilovers, but anyone could do the same with regular coils if their budget wouldnt allow for coilovers. My rear suspension uses XJ coils... Shhhh, Dont tell the jeep guys /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you would like, follow this link and view the Tech Section. There is quite a bit of information about Dana 60's and a decent write up about doing your own disc brakes on a 14 bolt.

Please use this website to your benefit. I have upgraded our discussion board to facilitate better viewer tech responses, and create a more friendly environment than email for tech questions.

There are some good wheeling pics as well /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Sorry for the long post, and please inform me if I was out of line for posting in the wrong forum or something. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well man, we're on the same track, but you are ahead of me.
    I don't like to buy kits or have work done for me.
    I want to make everything, and I try to adapt whatever I can find that works and is cheap.
    I also try and use parts that I can buy over the counter.
    I am working on a full size van conversion to 4wd.
    I did the first one like everyone does it.
    Now I am working on a new one with coils in the front using ford van coils, and I am also using a 3 link system similar to the ford's and the range rover.
    I have also designed an adjustable height system, but mine works sizor style instead of telescopic. But I dig your idea. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Keep up the good work.

3. Alaska Offroad

Im the same way. I love to do things myself. So far the only thing I havent done on my rig is the wiring design. I had a friend help me with that. I started this truck with the intention of doing things in a way that would be easy for people to do themselves. There were many cool things I would like to have done, but refrained cause most people dont have access to a machine shop like I do. I have strayed away from that a bit, but still try to capture as much info as possible for those who are interested in doing similar things with their trucks. Basically, I wanted people to see what I've done, and written, and say "thats not so hard" and then do if themselves. Building trucks is half the fun. If I had payed someone to build it, I probably wouldnt be as interested in wheeling it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Dang, you've come a long way since I last emailed you on your progress. Looks like you've revised some of your link design too. I'm going to have to go dig through your archives and catch up. I'm still planning my link setup ( a year later)!

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    You are like me.
    It took me 3 years of planning to make my first Van 4wd, and now I think it will take a couple more years to make anything on my blazer or the new van.
    But Like he said, working on it and creating things that work is half the fun.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. FWP

FWP CRS

You aren't gonna get flamed here dude. You have a great site, I have been checking it for a year now, and it's been one of my favorites for awhile. You have a lot of good tech info, keep up the good work /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Alaska Offroad

Thanks for the compliments, I was just worried cause I dont visit the board often enough to know all the rules, and personality of the typical poster. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Site updates this winter should include:
    Swaping a 4x4 Tailshaft into a 2wd TH-400
    Converting a 203 from behind a TH-350 to fit behind a TH-400
    Doubler X-Member Fab
    Fuel Cell Fab
    More EXO and Tube Bending stuff
    Suspension Design for Coil Front ends
    DIY snorkle (No heavy ABS pipe)
    DIY Beadlocks (Complete DIY, From Scratch)

8. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

The tech section of your page is AMAZING /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Keep up the good work. Those part numbers will come in handy. Your site has come a long way since I first viewed it.

9. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifI already had your site bookmarked, nice job on providing information and photos too. I like your truck, dig your site, and I wish I had access to fabricate my own stuff!

10. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I have checked out your page as well. You have some very helpful information there. I have consulted you before on your WMS Dual Case install as I have the same setup. Thanks for taking the time to measure some things for me (floorboard hole clearance issues). How has your WMS Setup held up? I am Finally getting ready for the swap in the next week. Did you ever take photos of your crossmember? Just would like to see what type of breakover angle you are now getting with the clocked NP203 and NP205 setup. Great Post!

11. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Yeah, Hurry up and get your fuel cell page updated. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Great stuff, Brook. Just think you need to put flames back on the 76 /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

12. Alaska Offroad

The WMS kit is working great. No Problems what so ever. The breakover angle sucks, cause I have a 120" WB, but the t-case clocking is great, and provided more belly clearance than I expected. The only thing I dont like about having my 205 clocked, is that it creates a much steaper driveline angle. Im trying to keep my trucks COG as low as possible, but with the advent of more articulation up front, Im wondering if having my case clocked is going to be a bad thing. We shal see. Im running 1410's at both ends, so There isnt much to be improved there. I can also clearance the yokes, as I have not done so at this time. The other thing that may help is moving my axle forward 6-8". The 4 link will also allow me to play with my pinion angle a little bit easier than leaf springs, so I might have no problems at all. (FYI. Im only at 6" of lift right now, and will be less after the 4 link is in.)

13. Alaska Offroad

LOL, I am still using the stock t-case x-member! I just moved it back a few inches. Not for long though, by getting rid of it I should gain almost 3 inches.

14. Alaska Offroad

The flames are still there, they are just covered with paint /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I hated to do it, but my truck wouln't show up in snow pictures, and when the light is flat, it wouldn't show up with the ocean as background either. She's still a flamer at heart /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. Alaska Offroad

The fuel cell should be done by spring /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Sorry, but its about the last thing on my list. Ive got this huge sheet of aluminum sitting in my shop, and need to get it out of there. But one of the few things I cant do for myself is weld Aluminum. Damn TIG machines are too spendy, and without owning one, I'll never have enough time for practice, to become proficient.

16. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

What do you mean?
    I have a mig welder with the aluminum welding kit.
    Basically all you need is a different liner for the wire feeder, and different tips (both teflon covered) and aluminum wire.
    And you will need pure argon as opposed to a mix argon/co2 for welding steel.
    I have it and it cost me an extra 100.
    This shouldn't be something you lack, you have the skills the vision, and opviously the determination to make things happen, you should be able to weld aluminum.

17. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

One more thing, you are doing a great job on your website, and your vehicle, and I know it keeps changing, but how about you put it in your profile? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. Alaska Offroad

I need to be able to weld 3/16" aluminum, and my 110v mig definately aint gonna cut it. It barely has enough juice to weld 3/16" steel. If im going to do it, im gonna do it right. I can do it, just dont have the cash. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

My Brother just bought a TIG. Hoping he gets it going soon so we can play with it. I've got some 3/4" Plate aluminum that I want to make a rockring from.

20. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

If you are worried about it standing out, maybe you should use some of that House of Kolor's glow in the dark paint for the flames. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Same color of green that you used to mock up your front cagework. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Actually, a standard red would be fine. I still think it is a great truck. Have you found a TH400 output yet?