Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chevy TH350 to a drivers side transfer case.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by enigma2y0u, Jan 12, 2007.

1. enigma2y0u

enigma2y0u Registered Member

What can I use. Currently my Jimmy has a Th350 to np203 on stock axles. I am inches from buying a ford dana 60 though and I have no idea how I can get it to work while I save for a doubler kit. Is there a ford transfer case that will bolt up to my th350 and be on the drivers side so I can have 4WD? I realize I could buy a Th400, but I don't want one and I want to use my 203 when I get a doubler kit.

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Ford used NP205 cases. I think the input might be different, though.
    You might be able to find one that works but you might have to change the input shaft.
    That'll get you one step closer to your doubler, as well.

3. K588

K588 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I was going to do the same thing at one time. My plan was to swap the Chevy 205 guts into the ford case, ended up using GM axles so never followed through with it to know if it works, seemed like should though unless there is a driveshaft clearance issue or something. Good luck

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

An NP-241 from a 1500-series IFS automatic truck should work. They had 700R4's/4L60E's which have the same bolt pattern and spline count at the back as the Turbo 350. :cool1:

EPK5 likes this.
  5. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Yes... but they used the "long" 27 spline output like the 208, where the 203/205 T350 output was "short".

I can't think of a way to do this w/ out changing the trans too. :(

Marv

6. enigma2y0u

OK, what if I changed the TH350 to a TH400, would a ford 205 bolt up to that? Am I out of luck on ths axle. What good combiation will work.

7. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have this setup. Not installed yet, but I have it. Gonna have to get an adaptor made, or open the holes in the stock adaptor. Swapping the inputs is easy. I used a 2wd tranny and got the adaptor from MEK5, had a local shop make it. The holes are VERY close, but IIRC 2 holes don't quite line up.

8. enigma2y0u

What setup do you have? Is it a 2WD TH350 to a NP241? Do I have to swap the transmission or just the output shaft. I am kind of a newbie with transmissions and this is the first automatic transmission I have ever owned.

My plan is to do something to get it on the road with the ford dana 60, but then be able to buy a doubler that will work with my existing 203 and a ford 205. I assume this doubler exists cause ORD lists any combination for just a few bucks more...

I hope to find a definate answer before I drop 1k on ths axle.

9. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sorry for the confusion. I'm using a TH400 2wd out of a short bus, and a Ford 205 t-case. The reason for the adaptor is 2 reasons, 1 is the output shaft from the tranny is too long just to bolt to the case. 2, the round 6 pattern looks vertually identical, but some of the holes are off. Do a search for 4l80, there was a post on this, and shows the difference between the GM round 6, and the Ford round 6. If you can get the axle, then get it, find out a way to run it later. Could always get a div case????

10. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

you can use a driver drop 241 ( i have one that i don't need ) but you need a spacer between the adaptor and t-case. there are other ways too i'll have to find my books.

11. enigma2y0u

I have a 4WD TH350, I want to get a NP241. I have got that so far, but the problem that everyone is talking about is the longer shorter shaft issue. Is the 4WD the shorter or longer shaft? I thought it was the shorter version. If it is the shorter version, how does a spacer help me?

12. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

to better help you i have to find an article i have around here. it was in either peterson's wheeler 4x4 garage or in a how to costumize you chevy truck book i have. i think it was in one of the first two 4x4 garage mags. it told the difference of all the trans/transfercases/and adaptors. and what you whould need to do a certain swap. if i remember the way it was i think that theth350 and 700r4 where different lenghts. so the adaptors were diff.. i will try to find this info for you because now you got me going. but i do remeber that you could set it up so either your drive shalts were the same as stock or the stronger way you needed custom lenght ones. i hope no one through my books out on me or there will be trouble now.

13. enigma2y0u

Thank you, that would be very helpful.

14. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

81-82 TH350 & NP208 adapter. Bolt on an 88+ NP241. Done.

EDIT: The TH350 output shaft for a NP203/205 is shorter than the one used with the 208.

15. enigma2y0u

I have a whole nother question now. This Dana 60 in question is from a 91 ford. The spring perches are farther apart than with a 78-79 one right? So my question is didn't they move the housing after the 78-79 years so it was even more to the drivers side? If so how the heck can I get it to work in my full size Jimmy? Won't the housing be in the way of where the new perch needs to go?

16. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Outboard the leaf springs... or go to a link suspension... or re-do the tubes for different shafts.

17. enigma2y0u

Does someone make a kit to outboard the springs or do I have to fab it all up? How much work is involved with that if you don't mind me asking?