Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chevy TSB for floor pan cracking - idea

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rcamacho, Oct 11, 2006.

1. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Probably old news but it occured to me this evening that a simple solution for K5 floor pan cracking around the seat mounting area would be to run a longitudal cross member under the floor between the cab body mounts. I was thinking a simple piece of U or L channel welded between the body mounts and spot welded around the tack welded nuts would do the trick.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I think tying the body to the frame in that manner would have some pretty bad consequences. If anything during flex the brace would twist the floor with it and fatigue everything connected.

The problem is perhaps (no offense folks) overweight individuals, and putting a plate INSIDE the cab, (think fenderwasher) but underneath the seat pedestals would spread the load better. Seats still firmly attached, but the weight isn't being carried by the small contact patch of the seat pedestals.

It may not be a personal weight issue, but it's plausible...I've never heard of the problem before.

3. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mine is cracked as well. I put 3/8"x1.5" steel strap about 2 feet long extending slightly forward, but maybe 9" to the rear of the seat underneath the seat mounts themselves. It took the stress off the cracked area enough that it hasn't gotten any worse in the past 6 months I've been driving it. And yes, it has become more temporary than originally intended. I'll post a pic later after work.

4. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

I'll have to take some pics. I'm not suggesting tying in to the frame. Rather, running a longitudal brace from the floor support/body mounts (body, not frame) underneath the seat/floorpan.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Ahh, ok, I get you now. Was thinking along the lines of the frame side of the body mounts. :)

I don't daily drive my truck either, so perhaps its just a problem on trucks that are always being used rather than weight concerns. The seat pedestals DO have a small load bearing surface though, and the K5's seats are particularly far away from the floor pan, which does provide for more leverage on the floor mounting locations.

6. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

I am the only person driving my truck (weigh 175lbs). The owner before me was also fairly small. Dont think the weight thing is the issue. I am going to have mine welded or may just weld in floorpans myself if I can get my hands on a welder. When I put in new seats I am going to use a nice big washer to spread the weight. Think that should do the trick.