Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chevy type-R motor?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Sep 1, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I was emailing this guy that was looking for a chevy 5.7 Type-R motor. I figured he's looking for a hip American import motor...
    I offered him the '91 Caprice 350 that I know will sit in my yard for another 5 years before I get off my arse and do something with it.

So he replies and tells me the vin code must be an R for the motor to fit in his 99 Tahoe.

I'm pretty sure this motor will fit in his truck with some slight mods, but I thought it was pretty funny, he seemed to think he had a type-r motor by vin code.

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

type R.... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Acually the guy is right.
    See Link
    http://www.chevy-350-engines.com/chevy-engine-249.html

The 8 th # of the vehicles vin code identifies the engine. In Yukons and Tahoes with a 5.7L. That digit is a "R" Which means it has a 5.7 Vortech. They are refered to as an "R "series engine.
    Altho your caprice block would fit. It would need a lot more than a few "Slight Mods" to work in his 99 Tahoe

BTW the engine ID code in your VIN # for your Caprice is 7

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I know he's right about it being a vin code R motor, I found the humor in him calling it a "type-R". I'm guessing he assumed that's what "type-R" meant.

When I replied, I told him my motor would probably fit, but he'd likely have to swap everything from the heads up from his old motor.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Ya know, this thread got me thinking.(good thing that dosn't happen too often) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif......

It got me wondering if the whole Type R is really a Ricer thing. Or they copyed it if from an american car.

The first time I ever rembered seeing a "<font color="red">R</font>" on a vehicle. Was on the 1993 SVT Mustang Cobra. Then again there are the 1995 and 00 R Cobras. The new 05 Cobra comes in a 500 HP SVT type R version too.
    [​IMG]

I dont think Honda came out with a Typr R till the late 90s First I rember around 1998 they came out with the Integra type R in the US. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    Seems like the ricers copy everything we do.
    Or does R just stand for <font color="red">RICE</font>. When its on a Honda. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

he may tell you that the engine wont work for his application. however, he is incorrect. in the shortblock, ALL of the part numbers match.