Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CHILD SEAT SAFETY

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIG B., Aug 22, 2004.

1. BIG B.

BIG B. Registered Member

Wasn't sure where to post this question, so here it goes. The wife and I are going to be working different shifts, and I will have to watch our twin daughters during the day. The only transportation I have is my 87 K5. Does anyone here run with child seats in the back seat. I want to know if the seat belts in the back seat are safe enought to hold 2 car seats. My girls are a little over a year and a half, so they will be facing the front. If anyone has any experience with this I would appreciate your input.

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I run a child seat in the back of my Crew Cab for my 5-year-old boy. The child seat I use comes with restraining straps with hooks across the base of the seat and on the top of the seat (I am assuming since you have children that you are familiar with the type of child seat I am talking about). I use the rear bench seat, middle passenger, factory GM lap belt across the base of the child seat (and not the strap and hook restraint belt that come with the seat), then I use the restraint belt and hook on top of the seat, which came with the child seat, and run it over the top and down the back of the factory GM bench seat. I then hook it to the steel base of the GM bench seat close to the floor of the truck.

3. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I pretty much do the same thing 1ton does, except with the K5 I just run the top strap over the top of the rear seat, and then back up through the bottom of the backrest/seat bottom, and reattach it to the seat. That way it's completely rapped around the seatback like a teather. It's safe, or I would not do it, but it's not quite as secure as it is in my 97 Silverado, or the wifes 01 Tahoe. But, at least it's not going to go airborne in an accident. Just put the car seats in and check it out really good... I'm pretty anal about what/where my kiddos ride in. I've seen too much bad stuff in my job.

I think the main factor will be the style of carseat you have.

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I might try that too...running up over the top, and back to the child seat.

Sooo, you seen a lot of stuff as a fireman, I am bored right now...tell me some of you fireman stories. I have spent some time as a racetrack emergency responce worker, and have seen some crazy stuff too

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If you have the shoulder strap style the little buckle deal will work. Otherwise the stock outboard belt with the non locking adjuster will not work. They do not lock and will not keep the belt tight. Junkyard a set of manualy adjusted lap belts and bolt them to the floor.

We only have one kid in the seat so we just used the center position with the manually adjust belt. You could put one there and use the clip deal and put the other seat in front but it makes loading the kid in back a pain.

The no kids in front seat is a Air bag deal. No Air bags in K5 to worry about, kid is fine up there. My wife, when it was just her hauling the kid around we put the car seat in the front seat and let the 11 year old climb in back. It was far eaiser to load the toddler for her that way. Ended up getting a Burb to replace that K5.

6. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Lap belts will be fine, just tighten them really well. The seat should not move more than one inch side to side. Sometimes it helps if you buy a long nerf type swimming tube and cut it just wider than the child seat. It can make the child safety seat fit better. I am not familiar with the type of rear seatbelts an 87 has. If it happens to have shoulder strap try pulling the belt all the way out until it stops and then slowly let it back in because some of the systems will change to a ratchet style and allow the belt to stay tight instead of slipping. If yours doesn't do this use the clip for keeping the belts locked together. Hope this helps. Always good to use the tether like was mentioned in the other posts.

Thanks for buckling them up!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. BIG B.

BIG B. Registered Member

Thanks for all the input. The outboard seatbelts are the regular lap belts with the automatic ratchet locking. I might be able to install a center style seatbelt on the outboard, to ensure that they stay tight. Then I could take the child seat saftey strap that is on top of the seat and wrap it around the entire seat, which was mentioned. What do you all think?