Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CHILTON, HAYNES, OR SOMETHING ELSE???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87BrnRsd, Jun 6, 2003.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I have an 87 K5, and am finally going to get around to buying a repair manual for it. I usually just look at my brothers haynes manual, but have decided to get my own since I have my own truck now. My question is, which one should I get? Which one has better information, and easier instruction, the haynes or the chilton's? Also, where could I find a factory service manual? Thanks
    -Harrison

2. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Factory is the only way to go!!!

HELM

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Where do I get a factory service manual? I clicked on that link you had, and they only had the owners manual that would come in your glove-box, but noting else.
    -Harrison

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Where do I get a factory service manual? I clicked on that link you had, and they only had the owners manual that would come in your glove-box, but noting else.
    -Harrison

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought mine from my local chevy dealer. They are year specific but a '77 will have most the earlier stuff and the D60 1 ton stuff too.

5. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

If it doesn't list it, then susposedly they are currently out of stock. I don't put much weight in that though. Call them and ask. My 78 was not listed but I called and they had it.

Another (slow) source is Ebay.

6. Rix_Gotta_Blazer

Rix_Gotta_Blazer 1/2 ton status

due to my last encounter with the Chilton's, i highly recommend getting the factory manual. Haynes and Chiltons are nothing compared to factory. i tried to decode my VIN, and the dang-o Chiltons steered me wrong.

7. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I called helm manuals, and they said that they no longer make those manuals, and they gave me numbers to 2 places that had them. I called one and they wanted like $100 for it. $100 is way over my head since I am only a high school student! Is this how much ya'll bought yours for? And, is there anywhere I can find them cheaper? Thanks.
    -Harrison

8. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I picked up the factory parts and service books from Ebay. Think I paid $30 for the set in real good condition. I like the factory books but like to cross reference with Haynes or Chiltons since they might have a different idea on taking something apart. I'm always looking for the easy way to get the job done.

Smitty