Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

China outsourcing..........any input?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BurbinOR, Apr 20, 2006.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Look at the article linked here..............would love to hear some comments from you guys. Anyone affected directly? We ALL are indirectly...........:mad:

http://tedmag.com/common/home.asp?ShowType=ted - this is the main page, then click on the link at Special Report for 'China, the Evil Giant'.

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Wow, thanks Frank.

3. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What I have to say is best left unsaid to prevent me from bring banned.

I didn't understand why we have good relations with China when China does questionable acts. I don't believe China is an ally. They have done things in the past that contradict US policies. They just want our money, and we want their natural resources.

4. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

If you are asking for comments...
    I think the article is pretty stupid, and I am SURE many will disagree.

Yes pollution is a problem, but typically poor countries are very polluted. It is only as they develop and grow that they become less polluted (staight from my economics text book), so how is not supporting their country going to reduce pollution? It is not, it will only keep them from cleaning up.

Yeah, religious freedom is denied, and it sucks. In an country where people are very poor is education likely to be high? In a poor country what is the balance of power like? As GDP goes up, where does that money go and how does it affect the balance of power? I contend that as China's economy improves, the people are more likely to enjoy freedoms.

With the whole microsoft issue in there... I recently attended a lecture where Kevin Johnson spoke specifically about what they are doing in China, and it all makes a lot of sense. Microsoft is building relationships with government leaders in China as a means to guarantee them a seat at the bargaining table. As things change microsoft wants to be there. Sure it helps there business, is that a bad thing? I think that microsoft can be much more influential for good as they abide by the laws and apply pressure for change.

I don't agree with what seems to be common thinking today: the only way to get change is to work against the other side--there are times when it is definitely appropriate, but it is not a panacea.

I would like the situation in China to be different, but I don't think it is going to become different by employing tactics, effective or not, to hurt their economy.

Just my .02

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

China the evil giant? Thats pretty funny. China doesn't stand a chance against us. We have the ultimate weapon.................:D
    Mu Ha Ha Ha!...........

Read this:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6700787/site/newsweek

China is doomed. Capitalism will prevail:thumb: :thumb:

6. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

It's always about Money, always will be.

We let them get away with it because it costs companies less to do it this way. And also consumers. Look at Harbor freight co. Items there are at least 1/2 the price of U.S. goods, while still providing a huge profit for the retailer, distributor, shiping, and mother company.

While the quality still is'nt top notch, for alot of people it is worth the lower prices compared to longentivity of the product, or the pride, or sadley now the prestige of owning american made products.

7. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

With out China the world would have a shortage of human organs for transplanting purposes. Oh and Diane Fienstien would probably run short on campaign contributions.

8. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Sad but true, and just think it all started with Canada and the auto industry. Them damn Canadians, it's all their fault:D :haha:

10. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

all about the $