Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ching-A-Ling

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fabjunkie, Sep 20, 2006.

1. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

When I'm rolling up to a stop, just before I stop, something rattles down at my front wheels. The sound it makes is ching-a-ling, like a light piece of metal rattling against something else metal. Not sure what's down there that could be loose. It does it on both sides. I'm thinking maybe those little clips that pop onto the brake pads. Any guesses?

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I had a similar noise on my crew cab and it turned out to be the dust shield on the rear pinion yoke.

3. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

i have the same problem, can't figure what it is though.

4. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I had a similar problem and it was the clip on the brake pads.

5. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Bingo, just cut mine off Monday for exactly the same reason!!! :D

I actually had my wife drive as I ran beside it before I found the noise. I was a sweating MF in the August heat!!! :rolleyes:

Otherwise I thought it was in the front, I even removed both front wheels looking fer the problem! :mad:

6. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ya I get the same noise too. :doah:

7. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

X2 on the brake pad clips. Found my noise when I was replacing my locking hubs. And found that my brake pads have some play in them and that's what was making the noise, but it didn't effect the braking ability of my jimmy so I just left it alone until I can afford to change the pads. As you rotate the disc with the wheels off look and listen to the brake pad and see if you have any abnormal movement.

8. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

Another thing to check is those rediculous chrome center shields. The ones in the center of the wheel to keep the dust off the hubs. Thats what was causing my noise.

9. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Ive had mine do that too...we once put rocks in my friends ford taurus, funny as hell because it made all kinds of racket and he couldnt figure it out for the life of him.

10. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

You'll also get a simular noise if your e brake cables aren't hooked up or way out of adjustment. I Get a jingling noise often but its because when I went 14bff i couldn't hook up the e brake cables.

11. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Well I know that the pinion guard deal is tight as I just put the 14ff in. Disc brakes on that did away with the e-brake cables. :wink1: I'm guessing it's probably the brake pad clips or the chrome center sheilds. I didn't realize I even had them until I took the pass. front tire off this morning and it came off with the wheel. Threw that one away. I'll take the other one off when I swap the wheels/tires tomorrow to fit the truck on the trailer. Hopefully I'll be going through the front end not too long after I move, so that will take care of it if it is the little pad clips. I wanted to make sure that no one jumped out with "Stop driving, your ****'s going to fall apart!" :D

12. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Well I swapped in a whole other front axle over the long weekend (3/4) and the noise is still there. The only thing I can think of is that it's the bb's in the tires coming around and falling on the top of the center of the wheel when I come to a stop. When I first noticed it, I had jsut put the 14ff in with bb's in the rear tires. Maybe before it just sounded like it was coming from the front but actually in the back. They're in all four corners now. Everything else has been eliminated. :dunno:

13. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I did not read the whole thing but if you would have said you had BBs in your tires in the first post this would have been settled long ago. I run airsoft pellets and aboot 3-5 MPH they fall off of the tire and hit the wheel and make that rattling noise. I also get a rattle from the heat shield on my factory manifold sometimes.

Ira

14. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

:blush: :blush: :blush: