Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chip for 87 TBI

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Itali83, Jun 22, 2001.

1. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I have a stock 87 TBI 350. I want to get a chip for it to gain some extra HP. WHo out there has a chip, was it worth it and any other details will help. My truck now has single 3" high flow cat and flowmaster exhaust and will have K/N and dual ram air intake, so the motor will breath a lot easier. Is there anything else that a chip will need?? Lower temp thermo stat? Stuff like that. My truck runs nice now, I just want more HP (who dosent?) but I don't want to frigg the computer or whatever up. Any help will be very cool, Thanks.
    Ben 87 Jimmy

2. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I have a ''90 Jimmy 350 TBI. I have a Hypertec Chip. I added it after a manifold and cam. Don't expect miracles, I could tell a small gain, but if I had to do it again, I am not sure I would do it again. Others who have added a chip to a stock engine may have a different opinion.

Derf00

"Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck in a more inaccessible place."

3. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

I got an ADS superchip in my bone stock 87 K-5.The problem is that it's only for a completely stock motor. It increase my timing and did see a gain in HP and torque as long as I ran premium gas. Lower octaine didn't provide as good results as 92 octane. Anyway, I dunno if you'd want a custom chip or something like mine. I guess you could use the ADS like me, since you haven't done any internal mods to the engine.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://billybob87k5.50megs.com>Homepage of Porky & Stinky</A>
    Billybob, the REAL <font color=red>Bionic Redneck</font color=red>

4. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

jet has a chip that doesn't require running different gas that is for off-road only. being that I am in Wyoming and don't have emmissions I think I'm going to try it. it was designed for systems that don't have the 'restrictive' are flow... seeing how I got a true dual exhaust in my 89 w/ hooker headers, a K&N, and not cats I think I'll try it!

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Cam swap and Edelbrock TBI manifold will probably give you a much bigger gain in power.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

IMO Chips are a big waste of cash for a stock or near stock motor, and when it does come time for a chip youy will want to have a custom one setuf. Take the money and put it towards a guarenteed hp and performance gain like headers... a true dual setup... bored out tbi and manifold... cylinder heads, etc.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

7. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Yea thats what I figured, I kinda thought they were a gimick but still wanted to know. Maybe I'll save up and the the edelbrock TESS Headers so I can stay with my brand new 3" hish flow exhaust now.

Anyone put the bigger 670cfm throttle body on their basically stock 350? I think I've heard some bad stuff about them. I can get a holley one for arond 300 bucks. WOrth it?? Yes/No?? Any help is cool. Thanks again guys.
    Ben 87 Jimmy

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Get a cam so that motor can breath and use the 670 CFM first. It's $150 and worth more than any other mod you can make, besides aftermarket heads.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

9. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

oh hey me and capt. have been talking about this...

I'm gonna do vortec heads, cam, all kinds of fun stuff... he's got a list to do it right, and I'm gonna do it!

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I heard (not sure if true) that all the truck TBI units (2.8, 4.3, 305, 350, and even big block) are the same except for bore size. You may want to look into if a big block TBI would fit. I am sure you could get one at a wrecking yard for alot less than $300. If it is just a bolt on that might be the way to go.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust