Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

chip in a 89 TBI?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5-newbie, Oct 15, 2004.

1. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

Are any of you running chips in your TBI's and if so, what kind? I am a superchips dealer, but they don't custom burn any Chevy stuff older than '95.

2. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I burn my own so there is no name associated with them /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

There are lots on ebay. Have a look over there.

3. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

i can burn my own Ford chips...but I dont have the burner that accepts the chevy style chip. Can you burn "custom" chips?

4. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

ive got an "ADS" chip. i didnt buy it, it was already in there. i think it just advances the timing. i need to take it out.

www.tbichips.com burns custom chips.

i plan on burning my own when i do more engine mods.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Dont really need a Chip for a stock or mild 350. They are a waste of money IMHO.
    An adjustable fuel pressure regulator. And advancing the timing 4* and running 89 octaine or better will build more power than a aftermarket chip for less money. The only time you really need a new chip is if you go with a hotter grind cam. That is out of specs for the stock chip to run.

When tuning TBI for performance a scanner like Auto X ray that gives real time running data is essintial. You need to be able to see the knock counts as you advance timing and play with the fuel pressure. You want to get advanced as far as you can without the ECM seeing any knocks. If the ECM sees knocking it retards the timing and you loose performance.

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

When tuning TBI for performance a scanner like Auto X ray that gives real time running data is essintial. You need to be able to see the knock counts as you advance timing and play with the fuel pressure. You want to get advanced as far as you can without the ECM seeing any knocks. If the ECM sees knocking it retards the timing and you loose performance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thunder, I was looking around for the Auto X Ray products and found some here Summit Racing. Do you know if product # AXY-10110 will work like you stated (I see there are different versions)? This would be more than just a code reader, right? It would allow real time monitoring of data?

Lastly, is this basically the hand held version of the WIN ALDL(?) scanning software I seen you talk about for a home PC?

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

WinALDL is better, although I'm not sure what baud the Autoxray runs. Winaldl is 160 baud, not quite the rate you want for burning chips, although it will work. Autoxray doesn't give you enough data, nor can you look at it in a spreadsheet.

Look around for instructions on making the "2 transistor" (I think thats right) cable, and look over on thirdgen.org for a guy named Mangus. He has a site for his product (I think it's tunerpro?) and it works at 8192. Better than winALDL. The "base" version is free.

No need to ask Mangus for the site, it's in his sig or profile over there.

The other "drop in" chips are utter wastes of time...they advance the timing and that is it. Great...now you get to run 89 octane.

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah the EZ- Link OBD 1 scanner for chevys will work fine. Besides showing trouble codes and what circut they are on. It shows real time data on the sensors and engine op data. The data is shown on a 2 line LCD screen. You can also do 30 second capture and review the data later.
    They also sell software called EZ-PC that lets you download the data captured in the scanner to your PC Via a serial cable. It shows it in a spread sheet and graph form like winaldl does.
    Win aldl is great if you have a laptop and only have GM OBD1
    cars. You cant beat the price (Free). But it is limited to GM OBD1.
    I have both Chevy OBD1 and OBD2 cars and Ford EECIV. I need a scanner that will work on all of them. I have upgraded my orginal EZ Link chevy OBD1 autoXray scanner to scan all ford Chevy and Dodge OBD1 and 2. With EZ-PC I can download upgrades from their site. The scanner is easly upgraded over the phone also.

http://www.autoxray.com/products.aspx