Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chip off the old computer???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by evilandangry, Jan 13, 2003.

1. evilandangry

evilandangry 1/2 ton status

I have been considering swaping the chip in my computer. I have added a hi flow cat with 3 inch exaust and a k&n filter and feel that the power band could be tweeked a bit. I am new to this sight but I did do a search and found very little info. Please dont tell me that computer chips are like chrome shocks for your engine!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Ok, *I* won't tell you. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

There was a post not too long ago on chips, but seriously, the reality is, to get the most performance, the chips need fine tuned to every single application for best performance in all aspects. The hypertechs and what not usually increase timing, (and the one review I saw was only higher in the RPM band) in some cases so much you need higher octane gas, yet don't deliver performance.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If that is all you did, just drive it for an hour in different conditions of load, no load climbs decents and the computer would recalibrate to optimize.
    If you change cam or heads and you want real calibration, customefis.com is the place to check, the guy will optimize it for you, he will lend you a laptop and you will plug it in and together you will get it done then he will burn a permanent chip for you. But it's not worth it with only exhaust and filter change.

4. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

I agree with IceMan. With the minimal mods you have made, you really don't need a computer chip yet. If you really feel the need to get one, I recommend staying away from JET Performance primarily because of cost. I purchased a JET Performance custom chip for my Suburban, only to have it go out after seven months of use. Once the problem was diagnosed as being the chip, one call to JET and they had another custom chip ready for me in two days. They did back up their product, but it was an expensive purchase at the beginning.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

These are the best pre programed chips I have found:
    fastchip.com
    They work all thru the rpm band. Most other brands only really work at WOT.
    If you want a good performance boost use their stage 2 chip.
    But you will have to put in a 160 degree thermostat and only be able to run preimium gas. Probabally loose some gas milage too.
    Their stage 1 chip works ok it will give a noticable jump throttle responce make your 0-60 time maby a little better, And give a little more power at mid RPM range. It didn.t hurt my gas milage either.
    They also burn custom chips to. But for your needs the stage 1 should be fine.
    As said in posts above chips dont give that big of a performance boost. But will help a little if you have or are going to do some bolt on performance mods.
    But the 150 bucks it would be better spent modifying your TBI to work/flow better you can really pull quite a bit of power out of them with a few simple cheap mods.
    Check out:
    turbocity.com
    They also sell and burn their own performance chips that work well with their TBI mods.