Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

chirp chirp chirp (make it stop!!!!)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by megaz, Jun 30, 2003.

1. megaz

megaz Newbie

i have a kinda whistle comming from my distributor cap
    what should look for and what is it????????
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    thanks

2. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

A bunch of twigs in the form of a nest and look for some birds /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Vacuum leak at the vac advance? Cap not installed quite right?

Rene

4. JustHorsinArownd

JustHorsinArownd Registered Member

I'm gonna go with Rene on this one. Sounds to me like a vacuum advance leak. I've never heard a rubber hose chirp (could happen I spose though) so I'd check the vacuum advance canister thingy itself. Maybe pinhole?? Or maybe the lever itself is squeaking?? Try unplugging and replugging in the hose and see what you can see and or hear. Good luck!!

Allan

5. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A bunch of twigs in the form of a nest and look for some birds

[/ QUOTE ]

make sure you take your shotgun with you, too. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

on the serious side, it could be that the dist is position incorrectly. the rotor could be touching the cap if it's offset a bit. also, try and dip your finger in oil and just wipe all the moving parts with it. just don't use too much.

worse case, a bad shaft /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

ARQ.

6. megaz

megaz Newbie

well ....killed the birds last week so it cant be that.
    i sprayed the guts with a little wd 40 and made shure it was on correctly and checked the vac tube...it does not matter if the line is on or off it still whistles.
    im leaning twards a bad shaft...it started running a little off(like it is hitting a little harder on one piston) about 2 days before the whistle started.
    when i sprayed the wd 40 in it i changed the way it sounded for a little while...then it went back to a steady whistle....only does it when its warmed up though.
    its not realy missing when it runs and it does not matter where i set the cap....it still has that slight vibration to the engine......(more than normal...lol)

is there a bearing in that thing or will i need to replace the whole shaft????thats one thing i have never had a problim with so i havent a clue..... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

thanks for the help so far....... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif