Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chistine unraveled

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazer72, Jul 10, 2000.

1. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

As many of you may know my '72 had a slight wiring problem, and it acted as if possessed on the second day of the y2k run. In the course of being towed down from the top the mountain it decided to run without the ignition fuse. ?? After paying some of my dues with my wife, and waiting for a new fuel filter, I was able to finally perform a little diagnostics tonight.

As for why it was able to run with the main fuse removed, I do not know, I can't duplicate it. I did however find that the wiring harness to the back of the blazer had been crushed by a rock. It also appears that the voltage to the fuel pump was dropped dramatically because of this. At this point I have restored the voltage, and I have replaced the wiring. Everything seems to check okay. I will try to restart tomorrow. I'm still going to cut the hole to access the fuel pump without dropping the tank, as the it is mounted in the tank. I'd like to thank everyone for thier help Sunday evening. Special thanks to Steve Fox, Steve and James Watson, Steve Frisbee, Lane Oberto and to those others who I regretibly do not remember the names.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Ken
    Glad to hear she's almost ready for the trail again, hey if you get a chance, take a few pics when you cut your access hole, I am thinking about doing the same thing and would like to know how it turns out.

Steve

3. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

To night I'm cutting the hole in the floor and I will send you the pic's in the am

Ken

4. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Well I did not get the hole cut but it is marked out! And the wiring is repaired very nicely now. If only I could find the way to remove Chistine!!!

Ken

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

What kind of problem did you have with the computer? Do you have a TPI or TBI unit grafted into your rig? I kinda want to know cause I have a TPI on my 79 and always want to hear about any computer issues. THanks.

<font color=black>'79 K5 - 406 w/IROC TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

6. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

The problem was out side of the ECM it worked fine, once I truned on the autocomp for alt. No the problem stems from the shorting of the fuel pump lead and the rear brake lock along with the brake lites!!! I replaced the wires from the bulkhead fitting (backside of the fuse block) back and ever thing seems fine. I would like to trade thought on fuel injection with anyone, and yes it TPI after market unit.

Ken