Welcome To CK5!
Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.
Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.
Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by surpip, Dec 25, 2005.
dog poison, or urban legend?
bad for dogs. depends on the type as well. the darker the chocolate the worse it is. they can not digest it that well and it stores up in the kidneys. my old 12 lbs chihuahua ate 3 lbs of fudge around christmas a few years back. puked up what looked like a chocolate malt about 3 times, then was sick a for a few days. later on in life developed a kidney problem and had to be on meds till he was put to sleep for being viscous.
Yeah I think it depends, my buddy's dog ate 3lbs of Hershey Kisses, foil and all and didnt get sick....
more milk and cocoa butter in a kiss than chocolate powder. like i said, the dark chocolate is the bad one. size of the dog also matters and if they get table scraps
The vet claims 1 oz per 10lbs of dog body weight. But darker is worse.....
Also for some other animals as well, I'd always check now before giving any of my animals something that may be questionable...
In college a few years ago, I decided to bake some chocolate chip cookies with my then girlfriend. We got the 2lb bag of chocolate chips out and found that we needed something that we didn't have. Made a quick run to the store a block away and when we got back, we found that my Chocolate Lab (now that's irony ) had gotten up on the counter and ate the whole bag, plastic and all. At the time, she (the dog) weighed around 100lbs (she had taken steroids for most of her life due to allergies, so it was mostly all muscle) and she was sick for a day or so. The vet told us to give her some pepto and bring her in first thing in the morning. She ended up being fine, but she sure did throw up a lot.
I had one of my goats get into and eat some rhodedendron bushes,I never realized just how toxic these plants can be to any thing and anybody, so I tryed cramming as much activated charcoal down her throat as I could, she managed to come out ok...
My moms 100 pound chocolate lab laid waste to a bag of hershey kisses one time. The only thing that happened to it was it had shiny tin foil flaked poop.
Reminds me of the time that my now ex-wife's long-haired greyhound (fine, "silken windhound") got into the bathroom and ate an entire box of Immodium.
He was burping little soap bubbles for a coupla days and looking mighty confused ... I called the vet right off, but Dr. William just laughed and laughed and said "That MIGHT teach him, not pooping for a few days!"
It didn't, the damn dog still eats anything.
Separate names with a comma.