Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Choice of Gear Brand *POLL*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Oct 16, 2005.

?

Gear Choice

Poll closed Jan 24, 2006.
  1. Precision

7 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. Yukon

31 vote(s)
    57.4%
  3. Motive

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. Genuine Gear

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  5. Dana Spicer

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. Richmond

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  7. Other

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I'm just curious as to what everyone's choice was when it comes to buying ring and pinions.................................

If you don't see a brand listed, throw the name out there.............

2. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Hey bubba do I have skool you on the search button :eek1:

:takes a swig: I'll have a liter of cola :bow:

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Be careful, I'm closer to Lynchburg than you. That cola won't taste so good when you don't have any chaser for it cause I'm holding it hostage........... :D

Besides, this thread isn't a personal type thing. I'm doing some business research and haven't kept myself in the loop on some things....... :doah:

5. uglyangelracing

uglyangelracing 1/2 ton status

I havent bought new gears for the K5 yet but bought a set of Richmond for my Camaro and love them. For the abuse Ive put them through and not a single problem.

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I have a few questions. What do you guys consider a good gearset and how you know you prefer yukon as to other brands. How many are gears that just see the trail as opposed to those driven daily. How many people actually set up gears for a living and know what a good gear set is? Im not trying to be a jerk here just kind of curious, because for some reason everyone likes yukon, and im just wondering why. :dunno:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2005
  7. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

A good ring and pinion set will just set up easier. It will run cooler and quieter than a lower quality ring and pinion set. Pretty much anything but Genuine will treat you just fine. Yukon is a good quality, reasonably priced gearset. I have never had a problem with them (probably 8 of the 15 or so I have set up were Yukons). The easiest r&p I have ever setup were the Spicers on a dana 44. Richmond is the only one I have ever had a problem with (in a 10 bolt on a late model camaro). The bad pattern would not change no matter how much the pinion depth changed. Richmond admitted to me that they have had a lot of trouble with the small GM 10 bolt. Richmond has a really good reputation, but that is my experience with them.

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I read a little while ago that what was just posted, Yukon is a good product for the money.

9. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I can't really resonde to the poll because I have not "run" mine, heck, thier not even installed yet.

I went with Yukons because I have seen a lot of people who have run them, and were happy with them. Plus, I got a good price on mine @ 460.00 shipped for 60/14 R&P's and master installs. That breaks down to right at 115.00 a unit. So, that's why I went with 'em. ;)

10. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I've heard great things about precision. Yukon as well. I had some genuine gears in the 10 bolt, didn't have any problems. Genuine Gears, I think, do have a lifetime breakage warranty, though.

11. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

i have Precisions in the Dana 60, and Genuines in the 14 bolt.

the Precisions setup a whole lot easier then the Genuines.

12. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Genuine's do have a lifetime warranty and that is the only reason anyone ever buys them (or they are trying to save $30 on a very important part). If a Genuine gear set fails, it is almost surely because it could not be set up correctly (due to very poor gear quality) or poor materials. If they give you a new ring and pinion, you still have to pay $300 or so to get it set up again. I have set up many ring and pinions, including work for other people, and if someone brought me a set of Genuine gears to install I would tell them to take a hike. I would avoid Genuine gears like the plague.

13. stayaway

stayaway Registered Member

I like randys always done me right

14. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I got Dana/Spicer for the D60

I got Precision for the 14BFF

All in 4.56

Very satisfied with the quality. IMO, I would get Dana/Spicer for Dana applications, and Precision for everything else...

15. mciahpv

mciahpv Registered Member

I've got Richmond 5.38s in mine, and they've never given me any problems (of course, I had them installed by someone else, so I can't comment on that portion)

It's funny -- most of my gearhead friends are drag racers as opposed to 4 wheelers, and as a result I've got a lot of drag race parts on my truck. (Not that it's a race truck by any means, just when I ask for opinions on brand X, I get the drag racing view, which sort of colors my opinion) Anyway, that's why I ended up with the Richmonds, because to most of the drag racing crowd, Richmond is to gears like Kleenex is to tissue. I was surprised to find that I'm in the vast minority around here by running them. They've really been great for me.

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

The science/art of gear making has been "figured out" for quite some time now. IMO there are only two kinds of gears... good gears and bad gears. Of all those listed, all fit in the "good" gear catagory except genuine gears. I have heard of WAY to many failures with them for it to be a fluke.

j

17. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i did this poll a few months ago when i wanted gears. yukon was top dog by more than a few.