Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CHOICE OF SOFT TOPS

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazin72, Nov 5, 2000.

1. blazin72

blazin72 1/2 ton status

Hey everyone going to purchase me a soft top for my 72K5
    I thought there would be no better place to ask which is the best brand than to ask here. Just thought I would get a few opinions on whats the best top for the money. Thanks

2. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Well, I have been doing a lot of research on soft tops myself. I plan to be buying one as soon as i get my tax return. For me the order from best to last ran like this. 1)Skyler, 2)Can Back 3)Custom top (I Would desing and have one made for me. 4)KayLine 5)Best Top. However, the lastest on the can back is that they are going to discontinue it due to lack of sales. The bad news for you on the can back and the skyler is that they only fit balzers from 76-91, so they are both out for you. I have heard verry few good things about best tops nor have i never actually seen one becuase they are verry unpopular. So the verdict for you is the Kayline soft top. Unless you want to have one custom built which many boat shops will do for an eccomical price.
    To learn more about the kayline, Can Back, or Skyler tops, see there reviews under Product reveiws oon the main page.
    ike

Spreading The K5 Gosple!

3. ECNiz

ECNiz Registered Member

I have a kayline top on order for my 72 Blazer. Ordered it
    about 2 weeks ago or so. They said it would take 6-8 weeks.
    I can let you know how it turns out once I put it in if
    you'd like.

4. blazin72

blazin72 1/2 ton status

It sounds like your limited with this year of blazer on what top you can purchase. The most popular top for this year after a little bit of research Kayline. Let me know how it fits, Whats the price for the Kayline?

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I think Kayline is our only option for now. I emailed Can-back and they have no plans to make a full convertable soft top for us!!I have had a kayline black top sence 94 and it has help up very well so far. Busted a few snap hear and there but they are easly replaced. I called Kayline several years ago when I busted my first snap and told them about it. They sent me a snap repair kit for free!! Kinda cool they did that. I can get more replacement snaps from my local Orchard Supply too.
    Ho ya one more thing, I installed rear pull straps to keep the top tight when all the windows are rolled up. That way it won't sag or be pushed down by the wind on the Hwy.
    Later

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

6. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Burt4x4,

Have you had your top on year around? I just bought my Kayline this summer and I want to find out who has kept the top on for several years without garaging the Vehicle. I will probably buy a truck cover for the times that I am not driving it in the winter. What safegards do you recommend to make sure my top lasts for years.

Thanks,

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Mudzer
    Yes I did a couple of years the first time I bought the top had it on year round. Then I moved and it was in storage for 1 year or so. Now it's year round again(I hate my hard top). One thing I do is use 303 pertectant it has UV and regeneration properties. It keeps the top from getting brittle on the edges and seams. The stuff is called 303 black and red spray bottle it works great! The best part it helps with the UV rays. The only other problem are my windows are turning white/cloudy. I bought some plastic window cleaner and polish from Maguires "I think" but haven't used it yet.
    Otherwize the soft top seals better than my hard top does. Hardtop is kinda warped anyway, I hate it!

8. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

And now a little input from a Best top owner. I have used the same top on two blazers year round no garage, for over four years[​IMG] They are easy to install,seal the water out, and in my humble opinion, look better on 1st generation blazers than kaylines top. Before all you kayline owners freak[​IMG] remember, it's just an opinion. The only problem I've ever had, was pulling the straps out(the ones that keep the top tight when the sides/back are rolled up. Easy repair! I do understand though, that kayline is coming out with a new top for our blazers that has zip out panels(instead of rolling up style) and they are reducing the "rake" on the rear panel( that's why I think their ugly tops) They are going to post pics on their web site soon. I would definately wait to see these new tops before chooing a top! Just my $.04(alot of talk[​IMG]

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I don't think I've ever seen the Besttop version, gona go look for there site....As long as it ain't a hard top I like IT!![​IMG]

10. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Kayline is supposed to come out with their "fast track" top for the 1st gen Blazer soon. I would hold out to see what it looks like. It is supposed to have 3 bows, meaning less rake in the back, more like Bestop. This should be the best first gen soft top ever.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

11. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

Burt4x4, you can take your top to an auto upholstery place and they can replace your windows with new ones. I did this years ago when I had a Jeep. Price wasn't too bad either.

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Really[​IMG] I didn't know that could be done!! are they sealed the same way or does it look like my mom just sewed up a pair of socks to make one[​IMG][​IMG]
    I'll have to look into that locally!!
    Thanks