Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Choices... Choices

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AZBIGT, Sep 13, 2000.

1. AZBIGT

AZBIGT Newbie

Well, I sent a post a few days ago about what to look for in a Blazer... Well, I was just informed that I can acquire a 71 1/2 ton 4x4 burban for free (I think), that was my dads... ANyways, I am in college and live about 30 miles from my gf. I drive about 250 to 300 miles a week. I am looking for opinions on what to do.. I could build a new 350 for the sub (which it needs), and replace the ac (which it needs). Or buy a blazer with the 5k or so that ill get off my jeep. My biggest concern is the mileage and the wear and tear on things. Keep in mind that I have a good job, but I am in school and dont want to have to dump a lot of money a week into gas and repairs, but I want a 4x4, and definately chevy. Thanks, Tom

2. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

I assume you are located in AZ. since the beginning of your username starts with AZ. If so my neighbor is planning on selling his blazer which is a 79. It looks to be original except larger tires and chrome wheels. The motor is tired, but he said the rest of the running gear is in good shape. His wife has been driving it for the past 2 years since I have lived here. I don't think he is going to want much for it, but I would be willing to ask if you are interested. It would be a good start of a nice rig.

3. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

just my opinion but........don't rely on a vehicle thats 30 years old to be reliable, unless its ground up restored, and as for gas mileage don't expect saturn mileage with a big chevy 4x4......js

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Sounds to me like the Burb isn't really free if it needs a new motor($1500-2500) and major AC repair($500-1000). Worst case scenario, you're looking at $3500 BEFORE you start to find the other little things that need to be done. Like JimmyDie said, you can be sure that other things will need to be repaired, especially if you're putting on the kind of miles you're talking about.

To be honest, taking your budget into consideration, I would wait until you had more money to burn before you get into a Blazer or Sub. 1200 miles a month is gonna cost you a ton of cash in gas, and it might only take one half decent repair to sink you. Trust me, these friggin' trucks aren't cheap!!!!

5. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

AZBigT, well the guys are right about the costs of owning a big truck. BUT, a free 71 4x4 Suburban! I really don't know of many guys that would pass that up. Especially if the truck is semi rust free, I imagin it is if you're in AZ. Around here rebuilt 350's are a dime a dozen ($700, 4 bolt main, with warranty) just be sure to check out the shop selling it, and a good rule of them is the better the warranty, the better the rebuild. I imagin the AC could get expensive to fix, determining what's wrong with it, but let's say you put $500 into it. Other items will pop up, but you could always end up selling it and you'd still come out ahead. A rig like that would pull in good money around here, they're vaery rare and sought after. You could always use what's left of your jeep earnings and buy a smaller car to get you around, and to and from your GF's. You don't have to make your truck a daily driver, you'll appreciate it more too. Regardless of your decision about what to drive, you should hold onto the Sub even if you have to put it in storage. I've stored a couple cars and it's only costed me $19 per month per car!

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!