Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Choke hook-up problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Muddytazz, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[​IMG]
    This choke has what is known as a heat tube out the bottom of it (note the red cut off hose), can anyone tell me or better yet show me a pic of where its supposed to hook up too?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Looks like a cadillac carb to me.

On an Olds (similar hot air setup) one end of the hot air system gets clean air from the top rear of the carb, hooks into the intake, which has a hot air tube running into it, which is supposed to heat the air as it is pulled into the choke.

Your's MIGHT need to be hooked up similarly, but I'm no cadillac expert.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

not just olds, alot of 75-79 caprices 2 bbl 305s got this ive had a couple, its very common on chevies before 80

id just swap the temp spring choke assembly(just the black part, not the lauminum housing) to a electric one, is direct swap.

good luck

4. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

I have 2 of those carbs. Just buy an electric choke stat at the parts store for an early eighties model. it is a direct bolt on, just remove the existing black cover. Hook up 12v to the spade terminal. By the way the spade is kind of weird and is made for a factory style plug, just get some sharp wire cutters and trim off the left side so a regular spade terminal can be slid on. Thats all there is to it.

5. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

at the local auto stores around here the electric choke conversion for 40 to 50 bucks \. or you can convert to a manual choke for $10 and never have to worie about it sticking (but then again i live in texas and with the exception of today it has bin 70 to 80degrees every day the last week so i dont have to use a choke much)

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Anyone know what the part number of the conversion is, the guys here at the local auto parts stores are idiots.

7. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

As I mentioned in my earlier reply just get a chokestat from an electric choke q-jet and it will work. I got it from one of my parts suppliers and I believe I specified a choke stat for an 82. It is just a black cover with the coil inside and 1 spade terminal. Any parts store should have one.