Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

choke light

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wnderbra, May 8, 2000.

1. wnderbra

wnderbra Registered Member

I have an 83 k5 with a new 350,holley intake and carb with electric choke . Everything has been runnin fine but two days ago the choke light on the dash came on .This light has never lit up in the three years i have owned it. It does'nt appear to affect the choke it still knocks down to the same idle speed. Can someone school me on the original function of this dash light and a possible reason why its on now. The temp here in va. has gotten alot hotter the last few days other than that everything is set the same as it was when the motor was installed about a month ago. thanks

2. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

I have an 83 also and once the choke light came on when all the oil leaked out on the way to the beach. It may be wired to come on when the engine gets hot also. Do you have a working temp guage? Just a thought.

<font color=blue>Blazerbob</font color=blue>[​IMG]

3. jakentn 83k5

jakentn 83k5 Registered Member

I too have an 83k5..when i bought it the choke wasn't hooked up...I hooked it up & the light came on..checked wire with meter & wasn't getting full 12volts..not sure if was due to age or what, but it would not open my flapper...ran another hot wire from switched 12v & worked good..

4. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status

If I remember right the choke and oil are wired in together so it might indicate a problem .

5. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I had a problem with the choke sticking so I took the cleaner off and the light started coming on intermittently, so I replaced the cleaner and it went back out, There is something in the owners Manual about the choke light, I just don't recall excatly what it says...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1