Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Choke Light?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ggallin13, Jun 5, 2000.

1. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

I was driving up to Tahoe yesterday, and my choke light came on. I have no idea what that means. My transmission isn't in the best shape, so it was shifting funny, but other than that things seemed fine. My temp was fine, and the truck sounded normal. I do have a sort of gassy/exhaust smell when I really get on the throttle. What could the reasons for this be? TIA...

David

2. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I was driving to Mammoth once and my 4x4 light came on. I stop backed up (I have auto hubs) and it went out. Never figured out why it came on though. Yours could just be a random thing like mine...or not.

Brian

3. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure why the choke light came on maybe it sees an open circuit (bad wire or choke) a sticky choke will cause it to run at a higher idle, run rich (i.e. black smoke when romped) and tempermental all around when warmed up. If you say it runs fine but a little smoke sounds like an adjustment (may not be choke related). Take off your breather when the engine is hot, keep it running and look at the carb on the front top there is a "flapper" this is the choke it should be straight up and down when hot and when its cold it should be shut once you give it a little gas (the choke will stay open until given gas (linkage related)..... hope this helps.

Wasn't me.............

4. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

My choke started to stick so I kept the breather off, i noticed everytime I started it up or got on the gas the light would come on, so i replaced the cleaner and put the breather back on and the light has not come on since other then when starting. the owners manual said something about it...I will get it and post what it has to say...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

5. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

Check the oil level in your motor.

Phil in K.C.

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I read once that the choke light is on the same circuit as the oil pressure switch or something to that effect. Anyway I have to agree, check your oil.