Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"choke" light

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Oct 22, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

\"choke\" light

when i try to start my blazer a choke light comes on which i never knew was there befor..cause it never came on befor..my dad just put an older distributer form like a 79 in the truck too..to by pass the computer thing..whys it come on? i just thought i would go see what it does in the garage just now and that came on just wondering..

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Re: \"choke\" light

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif OH NO, shouldnt have done that /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

J/K /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif you computer probably is not getting a signal to tell when it started anymore... Does the light stay on after it starts?

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

it wont start..but while its cranking..the light will come on a couple seconds after..and stay on..but the damn thing will nto start and thats the reason we tryed the distributer swap...im really lost as to why it wont start..could it be a fuse?

4. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

what all have you checked to see why the truck won't start. later.

jacob

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Do you have a computer controlled carb also? I have found that if you take off the computer controlled dist. you also need to replace the computer controlled carb for everything to work good.

Check for fuel by moving the accel. linkage by hand and look down the throat of the carb.

Next check for spark by pulling a plug and grounding it while trying to start the truck.

Those are the 2 basics for a no start condition. It should tell you which way to go...

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i didnt know about the carb thing..its an 85 305 so i dunno...ill check with my dad..thanx

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

first of are there any fuses on the fuse box that could prevent my engine from starting or also..my heater from working..cause thats not working either...

8. Mobile_Mechanic

Mobile_Mechanic Registered Member

I had an 85 pickup with a 305 and ESC distributor with the computer controlled carb. The computer died and I replaced the dist. with an older one I rebuilt. I left the carb alone and never had any problems with it. The connector in the carb adjusts the mixture, so it will work but it won't always be at optimum mixture.

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i dunno this thing just wont get any spark im bout ready to sell the whole damn pos and start over..