Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Choke Qusetion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stylzz, Sep 20, 2002.

1. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

Let me start by saying how great this site is. I have been checking it out for a couple weeks now and have learned more about my truck than I ever knew. Heres the problem, until a few weeks ago when I would start my truck I would let it warm up for about 30 seconds then I would kick it down with no problem. Now it wont kick down, it will take a few minutes until I can get it to kick down. I removed my stove pipe around this time because it was ready to fall out. Could this be the problem? or do I need to adjust the Choke? And how would I do that? I already checked other posts about this issue but I'm still not clear about the whole thing. 1980 K5/Q-Jet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Joe

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

When you removed the "stovepipe", you took away the tool that the engine uses to warm itself up. When your engine is cold, the valve in your aircleaner closes off, forcing the engine to breathe from your exhaust(warm air). Once the sensor in your aircleaner detects a set temp, vacuum is sent to the valve and it opens, allowing the engine to breathe fresh(cool) air.

I'm not a carb guru, but is your choke electric or heat-activated? If it's heat activated, removing the stovepipe might cause your choke/high idle to stay engaged longer.

3. beefjerky

beefjerky Registered Member

how can you tell if the choke is heat activated or electric?

4. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

I'm pretty sure the choke is heat activated because if it was electric I would hear that clicking sound when I turn the key on right? Also, I always had to kick it down manually. I'm going to rig some kind of stove pipe up and see if it helps. Thanks for the info.
    Joe