Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Choke voltage low?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Scottsdale, Nov 8, 2000.

1. Scottsdale

Scottsdale Registered Member

I think my choke is just broke or the voltage is low. I checked it the other day and it was 2-3 volts. What is it supposed to be? Anyone ever had a rebuilt carb from Jet or the Carb Shop? Did you like it?

Oh yeah, I put a set of mechanical guages on back during warmer weather and the choke has stayed on since. I hadn't noticed it running badly, but I probably didn't need the choke during warm weather too much.
    Bowties, hate wearin' em, love driven' em!

2. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    If your choke it on all the time (closed) this isnt a good situation, not too good for your engine. If you cant get the factory wire to work properly any switched from ign would work well for a choke.

3. FWP

FWP CRS

An electric choke should have 12 volts on it when the engine is running. Chevy ran the voltage from the fusebox through an oil pressure switch and then to the choke. Check the ground from the choke to the engine ground, It's probably not grounded well.

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>

4. Scottsdale

Scottsdale Registered Member

My choke doesn't seem to have a ground, just one wire hooked to the side of the body. Does it just use the engine as a ground?

Bowties, hate wearin' em, love driven' em!

5. FWP

FWP CRS

Exactly. look inside the housing, you may have some crud buildup in there, or bolts are loose somewhere between the choke housing and the intake.

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>