Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Choose my heads

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hi pinion, Jul 25, 2004.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Im building up my 350....... i was considering the vortech heads, but another member (4X4 high) told me to get theese. Any of you guys know about them?? Have them??? how much better are they than everything out there??? http://www.airflowresearch.com/pages/180sbc_sh.htm They are supposed to make tons of tourche /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Re: heads

Also i will be adding a cam to the motor /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gifBTW how would these compare to the brodix heads???? Keep in mind everything has to be smog legal /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

If Id would to get one 23degree head for a small block it would be those but they are $$$$$$

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

wich ones??? the afr??? those are killer heads??? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

both great but Id go w/ ARF

6. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I had a set or AFR's omy race car a few years back. OMG..huge improvement over the stockers

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

would you say they are the best??? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. big pappa b

I couldn't say for sure that they are the BEST cause I only ran stock heads and those. They did come highly recommended. AFR, Dart and Brodix are all good heads. I'm sure they all perform similar based on what level of performance you pick. I picked them cause at the time I was planning a blower motor and they offered the thicker deck

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I definitely wouldn't use Vortecs. They are not set up for stock-style EGR so they'll be a pain in the ass to make work with smog.

10. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

would you say they were un necesarry??? for a little 350 ??? i was told the vortech heads had a problem with cracking. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Overboard mabey??? I wont have a blower. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am not sure what you want me to tell you Jacob. I have told you in PM's about AFR heads and now you are asking the viewing CK5 public and they seem to think they are a good deal as well. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

12. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Just checkin it out....just checking it out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I diddnt post to undermind you in any way, just wanted to see whast everyone else thinks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 4X4HIGH

And the consensus is they are good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Why go over everything over and over? The AFR's are top of the line no doubt, you won't find a production head that can compare but they are roughly $1500 or so IIRC and aluminum heads aren't as strong as Irons because if the motor gets hot they can crack easier than iron heads. IMHO I wouldn't even touch the heads, or the cam for that matter. You still have a pathetically sad fuel and spark system that is anything but hi performance and the worst part is there is basically nothing you can do about it because of smog.

15. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Why go over everything over and over? The AFR's are top of the line no doubt, you won't find a production head that can compare but they are roughly $1500 or so IIRC and aluminum heads aren't as strong as Irons because if the motor gets hot they can crack easier than iron heads. IMHO I wouldn't even touch the heads, or the cam for that matter. You still have a pathetically sad fuel and spark system that is anything but hi performance and the worst part is there is basically nothing you can do about it because of smog.

[/ QUOTE ] Whell i have a bad habbit of going over everything and researching everything,and beating everything to death,(if you havent noticed) gathering opinions, and thouroughly checking everything out.But i do it for me. Not to undermind anyone, just to fufill my own insercuriteis of something ive never dealt with. As far as the heads cracking, 4X4 high says the vortechs ( cast iron) heads are cracking all the time. BTW he owns a machine shop /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif So he has seen these vortech heads break........3 sets in one week the last i remember /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

BTW Bobby........ do think i would benifit from a good set of these heads??? Or do you think is it sort of a waste because they wont reach there full "potential" .like you said before. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

17. big pappa b

If you are just wanting them to out on you K5 for trail rides and light wheeling I would not buy them. They are made to flow A LOT OF AIR. You will never see those rpm's on the trail.

18. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya man your not building a race car your building a truck, take it easy, i would just go with a good reliable engine one you can throw pump gas in it and wheel in all day it know it will get you home . there is no reason to over build a trail motor IMHO spend your money on a good FI setup instead

19. big pappa b

or propane

20. 4X4HIGH

Just for the record, AFR makes a bunch of different heads including a set designed for LOTS OF LOW END TORQUE. The low end torque heads are the 180cc heads unlike the 220cc heads for top end HP.

Another just for the record is that the vortech heads do crack very frequently, I had 3 sets in the last week come though my shop and all 6 of those heads were cracked. Don't get me wrong, the vortech heads do flow really well for a stock cast iron head, but the AFR's flow waaay better and are less prone to cracking because of their 3/4" thick deck surfaces and thicker castings than cast iron heads. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Also the AFR or any other aluminum head for that matter will help the engine to run cooler since aluminum dissipates heat much quicker. Also there is a substantial HP increase to go along with the high velocity these heads produce.